PROCHIMA SINTAFOAM resin

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

PROCHIMA SINTAFOAM resin

Postby Kingster » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:06 pm

Hello there, nice to meet such a great, helpful community over the casting and molding projects!
I am a bit amateur, having experience only by molding small equipment parts with polymorph (instant mold) and green stuff/milliput.

I am willing to try rubber and resin. I am going to start playing with the resin, filling in polymorph 2-part blocks, to check what can be achieved. Not many expectation but those 28 mm models that I want to create will be for home use only. Later I will check rubber etc.

Sooo, my local market can provide me the rather cheap PROCHIMA SINTAFOAM resin
http://www.e-kalfakis.gr/%CF%83%CF%84%CE%B1%CF%84%CE%B9%CE%BA%CE%B1-%CE%BC%CE%BF%CE%BD%CF%84%CE%B5%CE%BB%CE%B1-%CF%85%CE%BB%CE%B9%CE%BA%CE%B1-%CE%BA%CE%B1%CE%BB%CE%BF%CF%85%CF%80%CE%B9%CE%B1-%CF%81%CE%B9%CF%84%CE%B9%CE%BD%CE%B5%CF%83-%CF%80%CE%B7%CE%BB%CE%BF%CF%83-prochima-sintafoam-resin,-gr.500+cat-p-7760.html?language=en
Sorry for couldnt find another (shorter :P ) link, but this is exactly the place I am going to buy it.
Maybe someone has tried it or has any opinion about it. I don't want something tha gonna make extremely precise details and stuff, but something cheeeeeeap and useful.
Cheers!! :)
Kingster
Casual

Re: PROCHIMA SINTAFOAM resin

Postby Fleafa » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:10 pm

Hard to tell without a datasheet, but it looks like a fairly standard polyurethane resin. At that price, I would try it out.
Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:27 pm

Note that the description does say "for professional use", which may indicate that vacuum and/or pressure equipment is strictly necessary. Are you able to get a datasheet for it?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Kingster » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:07 am

I found this page (it's official)
http://www.prochima.com/ENG/product.asp?id=10

There is a pdf:
http://www.prochima.com/public/eng/SINTAFOAM1.1_ing.pdf

And some helpful vids. They dont use pressure equipment there. I hope it won't be necessary XD
Kingster
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:56 am

It's not a very useful datasheet! It doesn't list any cured properties! The one useful bit of info is the 60 second pot life: that is extremely short and I recommend against it. It's likely to begin hardening while you're still pouring into the moulds!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Kingster » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:49 am

Finally I bought the product and it was good especially for its price. Needs some attention with the bubbles (as almost every resin) but it's ok!
Kingster
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer