[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - RESIN CASTING
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

RESIN CASTING

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

RESIN CASTING

Postby tomfox1989 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:01 pm

Hi guys first post here and really a multi part question!

I am looking at buying a degassing chamber to create resin bases but wouldn't the resin set in the de-gasser as I only have a pot life of around 5 mins!?

Also how could I make them virtually unbreakable as we are looking to sell them in our store eventually.

Cheers
tomfox1989
Casual

Re: RESIN CASTING

Postby Fleafa » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:35 am

My resin has a pot life of 3-5 minutes and I degas with vacuum once poured.
They will be strong enough if you use a decent polyurethane resin.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:58 am

The idea is to degas after pouring. 5 Minute pot life is heaps of time for that. I use 5 minute pot life and I'm able to mix, pour, vacuum and then pressurise with time to spare.

Nothing will be unbreakable but polyurethane is pretty good. I always recommend going for a resin that is slightly flexible (so that it bends rather than snapping). Harder resins are more brittle.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby BrokenToad » Tue May 12, 2015 6:21 am

What do you recommend as a good slightly flexible resin?
BrokenToad
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue May 12, 2015 7:31 am

I use a local product called Procast. Smooth On Smooth-Cast 305 isn't too brittle though.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to Dr Polymer