[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Help needed in finding a UK pressure set up
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Help needed in finding a UK pressure set up

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Help needed in finding a UK pressure set up

Postby Velvet Mark » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:10 am

Hi all, first post!

Ive been lurking for a while thought Id best say hello and for ask for a bit of guidance please:)

For the past year ive been sculpting, mould making and casting 30mm chibi miniatures via injecting the resin at ambient pressure.

The success rate has been pretty good, but there is scope improvement. I feel investing in a pressure set up before vacuum would be the best option. Eventfully I will look at getting the degasing gear too, however my budget is around £300.

I was looking at using this 10lt paint pot along side this compressor.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/10-litre-spray-gun £199

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-awc10hp-compressor £109

Sensible choice? Smaller compressor maybe? What fixtures and fitting do you think ill need?

The ive been using cures fairly quickly 10/15 mins and I like the non odour of it too.

Any thoughts and insights would be much appreciated. Mistakes can be costly in casting as we all know, I want the most fit for purpose equipment I can get!

Mould sizes are small 10cm by 8cm by 6cm. Appreciate ill probably need to redo the moulds as they haven't been degased or pressurised.

More examples of my work can be found at my account,

Thanks for reading!

Cheers
Mark
Last edited by Velvet Mark on Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Velvet Mark
Casual

Re: Help needed in finding a UK presure set up

Postby Fleafa » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:21 pm

I love your sculpting style! I want those turtles!

The Axminster pot is what I use. It's fine, though there are better, and safer in the long run, pots out there. I would go with a compressor with a 25 litre tank. Less power is fine.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Velvet Mark » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:04 pm

Thanks very much Fleafa, I was just checking out your FB before I saw your signature, great stuff and thanks for the add:)

Ill think ill pick up the Axminster pot, as I take it the better pots in the long run are quite a bit more expensive?

Ill look for a 25 litre compressor, the one in the link above is only 6, thanks for the tip. Im looking at this for £110. What do you think?

What fittings did you buy to seal the pot off?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers
Mark
Velvet Mark
Casual

Postby rattrap » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:00 am

Try ERP in Hull, East Yorksire if it's not too far from you. I got my 10 ltr pressure pot from them and a compressor which was an ex rental one but it was like new. The pot was around £100 if my memory serves me well, and the compressor around £70. Let me know if you can't find their number, but they have a website.
rattrap
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:19 am

Welcome to RA, Mark!

It looks and sounds like you've got a good handle on your requirements, and the UK boys here are steering you in the right direction. Please keep us posted on your progress!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Velvet Mark » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:10 pm

@rattrap Thanks for the tip! Ive just had a look through their brochure and shot them an email. Im over in Manchester so it would be cheaper to get it shipped than pickup.

@mangozac Thanks very much:) Yeah I'll post some pics once Ive got the set up sorted.

Cheers
Velvet Mark
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:12 pm

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Velvet Mark » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:16 am

Thanks fleafa that post has everything I need.

@rattrap - ERP got back to me, with VAT and postage its working out very similar cost wise to the Axminister Pot.

Cheers for the suggestions guys!
Velvet Mark
Casual

Postby rattrap » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:42 am

It's a pity you can't get over here. The MD at ERP is called Roger, a great guy who is very willing to negotiate. He sorted the pot and compressor at a great price last year, and I have had no problems with them.
rattrap
Casual

Postby Velvet Mark » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:21 am

So after returning two dodgy compressors I decided to get a quieter one and settled on the slightly more expensive but silent Bambi unit.

Ive picked up the ball valves, and managed to get the paint tube out by using a blowtorch. Ive just sorted out the leaking joins with plumbers tape, and Im pleased to say the pot has held 50 PSI for the past two hours:)

The Psi has dropped from 55 to 50 over that time, not too concerend though.
Heres a pic of them, cant want to get casting with these!

Thanks for your help guys!
Velvet Mark
Casual

Postby mangozac » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:32 pm

Sounds great! 5PSI over a couple of hours is definitely a satisfactory leakage rate!

Can I ask how much those Bambi silent compressors cost? I've been thinking about upgrading my compressor recently...
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:51 pm

I thought about getting a Bambi for my airbrush, but the £300+ cost put me off.
Instead, I bought a salvaged refrigerator compressor locally for £6 and a 5.3 litre Sparmax regulated tank for £70. Including fittings, I have a 'silent' compressor for around £85 :)
The tank is too small for casting though. You can find 2nd-hand tanks from broken compressors on Ebay though.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:29 am

Ahhh Ben I love a bit of custom fabrication!

For the the compressor is for casting though. My new place is much closer to the neighbours and I'd like to be able to cast later in the evening when required without disrupting them.
mangozac

Postby RageofAchilles » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:41 am

Zac, just issue free ear defenders to all your neighbours! lol
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby mangozac » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:40 am

Duh, it's so simple! Why didn't I think of that? :p

Actually, the other option I was considering was building a box over the top of the compressor. For casting it's running for something in the order of a couple of minutes per hour, so overheating will be unlikely. I'd build it with a door so that for the rare time it does need to be run on a higher duty cycle it can just be opened up to facilitate plenty of air flow (during the day anyway).
mangozac

Next

Return to Dr Polymer