[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Help needed in finding a UK pressure set up
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Help needed in finding a UK pressure set up

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Help needed in finding a UK presure set up

Postby Fleafa » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:00 pm

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:56 am

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:40 am

Sounds awesome :)

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Velvet Mark » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:56 am

Velvet Mark
Casual

Postby Velvet Mark » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:00 am

Now Im just looking for a vacuum pump to add to the circuit. Unsure whether to use the paint pot or buy a premade vacuum chamber.

Also any ideas how i can quieten the venting air from the presure pot?

Thanks all!
Velvet Mark
Casual

Postby RageofAchilles » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:54 am

I know what you mean ! I have a cheapo 24ltr compressor and its loud, but I find the sound of the pressure pot venting air to be far worse and have to wear ear defenders to stop my ears popping lol

I suppose you could try holding a bath sponge over the valve while venting, or will it just blow a hole through it?....hmm lol

I bought my vac kit from ebay for about £190 all inclusive 7.5 ltr chamber and 1.5cfm vacuum pump. Yes I know it is a weedy pump but it reaches full vacuum in under a minute, it's just a bit of a noisy little bugger ( like a mini outboard motor lol). On it's own it made my castings worse , but combined with the pressure you get excellent results.

Any air bubble in your old moulds will implode in the pressure pot causing lots of tiny spheres on the surface of your castings, unless your lucky.
Last edited by RageofAchilles on Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby mangozac » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:29 am

mangozac

Postby Velvet Mark » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:30 am

Yeah Ive redone 6 moulds so far, no bobbles at all now:)

Just cast up and painted this little dude

Not one air bubble on the first cast! Didnt even have to break the mould in:) Really stoked, its going to make my life so much easier. When Id get an order and it was taking 2/3 casts to get a good copy it was such a pain. Or resorting to filling the holes with half cured resin and a sculpting tool it was no fun lol.

I was using a sock to muffle the venting. Ill check out the silencer though Zac, thanks for the link.

Rage, I think ill pick up the Vacuum pump next payday. Even if its just to degas the silicone before applying the pressure. As always any budget I think I should stick too goes out of the window when the inner enthusiastic muse takes over :lol: The older moulds ive used havent been to bad so far. The bobbles just flick off.

Started some 15mm GIrls Und Panzer crew sculpts for flames of war now I know I can fill the moulds properly too. Tried casting 6mm minis in the past at room pressure and it was hard work. Hopefully this should be easier with the right gear.

Thanks again!

Cheers
Mark
Velvet Mark
Casual

Re: Help needed in finding a UK pressure set up

Postby RageofAchilles » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:15 pm

The Girls Und Panzer sculpts are a really nice idea, as an anime fan I appreciate them although I haven't watched the show ( yet).

It also puts me in mind of the amazing Valkyrie Chronicles on PS3 and the associated anime series.

You made your setup the same time as me , but are already racing forward making minis, it's great to see!
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby Velvet Mark » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:54 pm

Thanks mate. yeah loving it! For the air compresor silencer ive seen from a UK seller which I think Ill try. Not seen Valkyrie Cronicles yet, Ill have to check it out! GuP is a bit like World of Tanks meets St Trinnians. Me and the eldest are well into it atm! The first episode can be found .

I managed to cast them up and paint them

Nearly there, just need a bit of a touch up. They are a bit awkward to get out of the mould though without snapping. Its shore A27, each side is about 20mm thick. I normally snap thin resin pieces deliberately to pin them if im going to game with them, but id like the option not to lol.

Any recommendations for some harder curing resin? Or am I best using a softer silicone?

Cheers
Mark
Velvet Mark
Casual

Postby RageofAchilles » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:11 pm

I bought this a 60D resin from the smooth-cast semi rigid series.
http://www.benam.co.uk/products/plastic ... emi-rigid/

Its very strong while slightly flexible and high impact resistant. doesn't snap in thin section, good stuff, but I wouldn't use any pigment with it as it can act up if the mix isn't just right. I bought it to make prop armour with.

Looks like you got good casting results on such small minis, nicely done!
Thanks for the link ;)
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:06 am

Mark, you don't actually want a harder curing resin: the harder it is the more brittle it tends to be for fine parts like these. I'd definitely look for some softer silicone first: something around Shore 20A.

Why is the mould 40mm thick? Surely for such small parts it could be a quarter of that? The majority of my moulds are only two Lego brick studs thick...
mangozac

Postby Velvet Mark » Tue May 05, 2015 9:42 pm

Yeah I've got into the habit of doing 100 g of silicone per side to keep the % catalyst calculation easier! That might be my issue with these. I've found if I take use tweezers and due care I can get them out ok :lol:
Velvet Mark
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed May 06, 2015 8:01 am

I've done down to 40g of silicone per side and never had any issues measuring out the catalyst at a 1:10 ratio. Definitely try to get your weight down ;)
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Wed May 06, 2015 11:11 pm

In response to the original topic, I'm going to be ordering one of these to replace my leaking pot:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251761774724? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I'll post a review once I have used it for a while.

Fleafa
Junkie

PreviousNext

Return to Dr Polymer