[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Sealing mould walls
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Sealing mould walls

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Sealing mould walls

Postby follox » Sun May 03, 2015 11:24 pm

I made my first (Wilco's Own Brand Knock-Off) Lego mould last night - fun stuff! Clean-up took a while and there was quite a lot of seepage between the bricks (probably what you get for buying cheap bricks) ;) Is there anything I can paint the inside of the walls with to minimise this? I don't have a lot of working space so something I can brush on would be good - maybe petroleum jelly? Thanks!
follox
Casual

Re: Sealing mould walls

Postby RageofAchilles » Mon May 04, 2015 2:57 am

Hi, rather than do that I would cut some 1mm styrene sheet to line the inner walls of your lego box with. Saves sealing the bricks every time.
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby follox » Mon May 04, 2015 3:23 am

What a good idea, thank you! Do you suppose cling film/saran wrap would work, or might it do something sticky and horrible..? Just thinking about what I have to hand currently (having a bit of a sunday moulding sesh) :D
follox
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon May 04, 2015 7:36 am

I don't see how cling wrap would work. I know of some people who have used petroleum jelly. You could also use clay or even styrene sheet less than 1mm like RoA suggested...
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby follox » Mon May 04, 2015 7:08 pm

I can imagine the stuff you mean, now - you get envelopes made with it for computer hardware and stuff. I reckon I can dig something out...
follox
Casual

Postby RageofAchilles » Mon May 04, 2015 8:19 pm

yeah its just plasticard you can get from any hobby shop, of if you cant get that, cut up some household plastics like ice cream tubs or something.
Personally I tend to make all my mould boxes out of polystyrene pizza bases, just cut into strips to build the walls with. But that's just me making do with whats to hand lol.
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby follox » Mon May 04, 2015 10:10 pm

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaah *happy dance* :D

follox
Casual

Postby RageofAchilles » Mon May 04, 2015 10:52 pm

ah you found some polyfoam packing material, hope it give the result your looking for. Here is a link to styrene on ebay, nice and cheap...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Plastic ... 33a1e36001
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby mangozac » Tue May 05, 2015 7:46 am

That stuff is slightly porous - won't the silicone stick to it?
mangozac

Postby follox » Tue May 05, 2015 8:44 am

follox
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed May 06, 2015 7:59 am

mangozac

Postby follox » Wed May 06, 2015 9:28 am

Aaah ok - I thought that was just cos the plastic already has that texture on it. Still though, it'll do the job until I run out. Something more rigid would be easier to manage I'm sure (that's what SHE sa- sorry...)

Thanks so much for your help :) This forum is a wealth of knowledge and skill and I just love it, and really appreciate you guys for not chasing off those of us who ain't making miniatures :)
follox
Casual

Postby jm72076 » Thu May 07, 2015 5:31 am

Another good source I've found in the US for cheap thin plastic card is WalMart. In the hardware section they sell 0.3mm thick "For Sale" signs for $0.96 each. They also have one that is 1mm thick for $1.26. It's a lot cheaper than buying from a hobby shop.

Jim
jm72076
Casual

Postby mangozac » Thu May 07, 2015 7:43 am

mangozac

Return to Dr Polymer