[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - 3d Printed figures and their presentations
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

3d Printed figures and their presentations

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

3d Printed figures and their presentations

Postby heribertovalle » Fri May 15, 2015 9:04 am

Hello everyone! Name's Heriberto and I'm a newbie in resin casting, and a somewhat experienced 3d modeler and illustrator. I have a lot of experience in laser cutting (should anyone need a tip there) and I'm beginning my polymer journey into Grownup resin casting :D

Lately I've been producing some resin kits, with 3d printed originals. And, I had been getting a lot of requests for a video tutorial that encompassed not sculpting, but how to create renders (clay renders, polypainted renders) for packaging, illustration, or promotion for figures originally created through digital mediums. I wanted to share this course with you, it's free!

There you go. Hope someone here finds it useful. Glad to be in the forum too!
https://gumroad.com/marchenatelier
heribertovalle
Casual

Re: 3d Printed figures and their presentations

Postby mangozac » Fri May 15, 2015 10:39 am

Hi Heriberto, welcome to RA!

That looks like a highly detailed kit you've designed there! How long have you been 3D modelling? Can I ask who you're using for printing?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby heribertovalle » Fri May 15, 2015 11:03 am

You sure can! I've been modelling since High school (I'm 30 now) but I never took it seriously until a little while ago. I left my dayjob this January to dedicate myself to model, sculpt, and illustrate better. So I can't really say I started actually getting serious about it just a while ago. (a bit before that)

As for my provider: Myself. Bit the bullet and bought a 3d printer. I live in Mexico and the few services here charge outrageous prices and are fairly abusive (Horror stories I've got. One bureau gave me a horrible quote, I decided not to go along with it, and some days later I see my model in an expo, they were using it to show off their work). It's a form +1,

The kit actually came out nice: Image Here is the print with a primer layer. The molds: To tell you the truth I'm almost embarrassed. That would be the main reason I joined :D
heribertovalle
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Fri May 15, 2015 6:07 pm

Welcome.
Beautiful work, really great style. Love the presentation too, so will check out the tutorial :)

Did you consider modelling the iris and pupil on the eyeball to help painters? Just a simple damstandard engraving would be enough.

I think you have made more cuts than I would consider necessary, but that may make your life easier as you are getting to grips with casting. In the long-term, more parts makes things more expensive to produce. Perhaps not a concern until you produce lots!
The 'accessories' sprue needs the glasses and magnifying glass to be held on stalks away from the mould block, like the hands. You shouldn't need that vent in the middle of the magnifying glass, if you are casting with vacuum.

So how are you casting? What is your setup?

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby heribertovalle » Fri May 15, 2015 11:34 pm

heribertovalle
Casual

Postby Velvet Mark » Sat May 16, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks for guide, Ive tried using sculpis before but I need to get some sore practice in.

I recognise the Scarf Heroine from the chibi gamers FB post, great job with that too:)
Velvet Mark
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon May 18, 2015 8:57 am

Well your tank is a good start! 40PSI is a little on the low side - generally adequate, but 50+ PSI is better. You really need to be vacuuming as well, but with the 3 min pot life resin available to you that might be very difficult. I think the ventouri vacuum mechanism might be too slow - you would need to consider a very fast vacuum pump of say 10CFM flow rate.

Fleafa has given some good advice regarding the glasses and magnifying glass. The glasses should be achievable if connected to the sprue the right way and using vacuum casting.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby heribertovalle » Thu May 21, 2015 2:59 pm

heribertovalle
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Thu May 21, 2015 5:57 pm

Transfers are a great idea, though a raised iris wouldn't prevent their application - especially with a little Micro Sol / Micro Set. Photo-etch for the glasses would be great! So would a laser-cut magnifying glass.

As Zak said, 50+PSI is ideal. I cast at 60, though that drops off over the curing period. I also vacuum with a 3 minute pot life, but I am in a cooler region casting smaller parts. The size of your parts means quicker gelling and more expansion under vacuum.

Fleafa
Junkie

Return to Dr Polymer