[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Degassing resin in mold?
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Degassing resin in mold?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Degassing resin in mold?

Postby bdbrooker » Mon May 18, 2015 2:12 am

I guess my mold is a little too complex, I'm getting bubbles on the more detailed areas. I have a vacuum. Ever heard of degassing the resin while it's in the mold to assure a bubbles casting? Is this an option?

Thanks!
bdbrooker
Casual

Re: Degassing resin in mold?

Postby Fleafa » Mon May 18, 2015 4:30 am

Many of us do this and don't degas prior to pouring.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon May 18, 2015 8:51 am

The standard procedure is:
1. Mix resin and pour into mould
2. Vacuum resin while in the mould
3. Apply pressure until resin has cured

You need to ensure that the top of your mould has a reservoir for the resin to expand into during the vacuuming process, otherwise it will overflow, make a mess and won't leave enough resin for the part.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby bdbrooker » Mon May 18, 2015 11:00 am

"Applying pressure" in the vacuum? It that just leaving the vacuum on?
bdbrooker
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon May 18, 2015 12:51 pm

No, if you do that you won't be able to pressurise the system! :P

I'll update my description to:
1. Mix resin and pour into mould
2. Vacuum resin while in the mould
3. Turn off vacuum pump
4. Apply pressure until resin has cured

Vacuuming the resin in the moulds removes large air pockets. Applying pressure afterwards crushes any small bubbles left.
mangozac

Postby bdbrooker » Mon May 18, 2015 2:55 pm

Sorry if I seem naive, but what's the method to apply pressure?
bdbrooker
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon May 18, 2015 5:00 pm

Using a compressor and pressure chamber.

Please have a read of the threads here: , specifically .
mangozac

Postby bdbrooker » Wed May 20, 2015 1:38 am

So I notice your set up is a vacuum and compressor. I have a vac, what would be the most affordable type of compressor and pressure pot? And specific brands you know of and trust?
bdbrooker
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed May 20, 2015 8:31 am

We recommend the CA Technologies pots as a high quality solution, but they are not the cheapest. I'm not in the USA so I can't give you any further recommendations.

Any compressor with a tank of at least 20L will do the job.
mangozac

Return to Dr Polymer