ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Using resin on tissues?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Using resin on tissues?

Postby ciara » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:54 pm

Hi there,

I am new to the world of resin so forgive me if I don't use the technical terms or understand it very well.
I am a sculptor who is trying to get my latest works made but am struggling when it comes to casting.
Basically I want to use resin to harden some objects so I may cast them.
The items I wish to harden to make moulds out of are every day objects such as tissues, teddy bear stuffing and plastic bags.

I was hoping to find a resin spray to spray these items with so that they could harden so that I could mould them. However I can not find anything about it online and after calling many hardware stores it seems I cannot do that.
I also don't know if resin sticks to plastic ?

This project has been in the works for 7 months and needs to be exhibited quite shortly so I am looking to find an answer.

Apologies for my simplistic language.

Ciara :)
ciara
Casual

Re: Using resin on tissues?

Postby mangozac » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:10 am

Hi Ciara, welcome to RA!

Doing something like you describe with resin would be a bit tricky - certainly I've not seen any way of spraying it on like that. A trick that military modellers use for creating scale tarpaulins is to soak a tissue in a mixture of PVA glue and water. The same could possibly be applied to the items you list in order to harden them?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Using resin on tissues?

Postby Islacrusez » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:19 am

I've also seen cyanoacrylate (superglue) used to harden tissue for scale modelling use.
Islacrusez
Habit

Return to Dr Polymer