ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Bubbles in my resin

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Bubbles in my resin

Postby Kingster » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:16 pm

I tried to find my answer in the tutorials but I think I need special help.

I have made my molds very well but I have problem with my resin. Maybe it's just the quality of my resin(I will provide the sheet) but let's see what happens. I use injections(without their needles) to remove the resin parts and spill it in a small jar to mix them. Even if I spill em slowly(despite not having time) they are spilled with bubbles probably due to the pressure. I mix em carefully and I almost disappear the bubbles. Then I use another injection to pick it up and spill it in the thin slot of the mold. I think that in this time that I spill it, bubbles are appearing. I hit it a bit to make em rise but they are too many! Some of them are left and make my final model full of holes, like a cheese :(

I have paid for this resin, so replacing with another is not an option... Can you think of any solution? Maybe another spilling method or something I am doing wrong? I am a bit desperate...
Kingster
Casual

Re: Bubbles in my resin

Postby mangozac » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:39 am

It's probably due to moisture in the resin. You could perhaps try an anti-foaming agent like this (http://www.barnes.com.au/polyurethane/a ... m-af4-1238) but otherwise your only option is pressure casting.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Kingster » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:05 am

I don't own a pressure machine and the anti-foam agent is expensive for the few castings that's left. Even a bit difficult to find it here.

But I watched some vids and maybe if I am going to be more steady when I make the final injection and push the injection's tip inside the mold, I will see better results.
Kingster
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:15 am

OK good luck!
mangozac

Postby Kingster » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:56 am

Just for the record the problem was the injection that I used to spill the plastic into the mold. Never, ever use it, this is what creates the bubbles. I am using a lid to mix it and I spill it directly from the lid, just be slow and patient while doing this!
Kingster
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:02 am

Oh that makes sense - I'm sorry I didn't think of that earlier!
mangozac

Return to Dr Polymer