[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Peculiar resin problem
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Peculiar resin problem

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Peculiar resin problem

Postby Dr Mathias » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:12 am

Hello,
I came upon an issue with some resin casts that I've not encountered.
A few days ago I made two molds to cast some small resin parts. Mold A had styrene masters in it, Mold B had some ABS/Plaster parts. I used Smooth-On MoldMax 25. The rubber cured very quick, and was developing small 'chunks' by the end of the pour. It's relatively hot and humid here.

When I de-molded the masters the next morning everything seemed fine and the molds appeared to be cured as expected, so I went ahead with casting.

I filled the molds twice, starting with SmoothCast 305. 'Mold A' produced tacky casts with glossy surfaces- two days later they're still sticky and somewhat soft. Parts from 'Mold B' don't appear to have that problem. At the same time I did these I cast a few other older molds- with similar parts in terms of thickness- and they're not tacky either, so it doesn't appear to be the resin.

I then tried a quicker cure resin, SmoothCast 300, and a slight dusting with talc. 'Mold A' didn't produce a tacky, glossy cast that time. I haven't been using talc lately since I switched to vacuum then pressure. So that is a variable.

Any ideas what might be happening here? It seems odd.

Thanks!
Dr Mathias
Casual

Re: Peculiar resin problem

Postby RageofAchilles » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:49 pm

I have used both those resins and find them to be quite unforgiving if the mix isn't quite right or they come into contact with moisture. It could just be that one of your moulds was sweating. It's usually recommended to wait 72 hours for a mould to cure before use, but honestly most of us are too excited to get the first cast out.

I did have a period last year when I had sweaty casts and pieces that didn't cure, I have not had the problem at all this year and have even used old resin from that same batch! All I have done is give the resin a really good shake before I mix it.

sounds like your plaster leached the moisture from your mould so when you poured into it you got no problems, while the mould that had styrene in it must have been sweating. You had no problem with old moulds because they have dried out more and leached out silicone over multiple casts.
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby Dr Mathias » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:46 am

That sounds like a good explanation- I didn't seal the plaster before making the molds.

I usually don't wait to cast after I make a mold- too anxious ;)

Thanks!
Dr Mathias
Casual

Postby mangozac » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:06 am

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to Dr Polymer