[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Newbie makes a silicone brick!
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Newbie makes a silicone brick!

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Newbie makes a silicone brick!

Postby blacksmithn » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:24 pm

Greetings. I'm a complete novice at mold making and casting and I have managed to make a bunch of mistakes in my initial try. It's been rather a comedy of errors, in fact, including the burning of not one, not two, but three fingers with hot glue while putting the form together. I made a two part mold with RTV silicone. The bottom part went great. The top, however, not so good. Suffering from the excruciating pain of my aforesaid fingers (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) I managed to mix and pour the top portion of the RTV and only realized afterwards that I'd forgotten to treat the bottom with any mold release! Is there any way to get these two halves apart, short of major surgery? Or am I stuck (no pun intended) with a silicone brick as a reward for my bungled first effort? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
blacksmithn
Casual

Re: Newbie makes a silicone brick!

Postby follox » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:55 pm

Oh bum... I suppose it will depend on the complexity of the shape but I guess you're going to have to try and cut along the line that would have been your dividing point :(

Best of luck.
follox
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:43 am

Sorry but you're got yourself a solid silicone brick there. Silicone won't bond well to anything other than more silicone, to which it bonds perfectly! See if you can turn it into a single part split mould by cutting carefully, that way you won't waste all of the silicone...
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Blindhorizon » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:43 pm

If you can't save the mold you can also grind up the old mold or cut it into small pieces and added it in small parts to new mixings of silicone.
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby blacksmithn » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:42 pm

Surprisingly, at least to me, I was able to cut carefully along the joint where the two mold halves meet and once I had a finger hold I managed to separate the two halves! The mold looks to my untrained eye to be perfectly usable. i love a happy ending!
blacksmithn
Casual

Postby follox » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:00 pm

Awesome, that's great news! :D
follox
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:13 am

That's interesting. I wonder what caused it to come apart so easily? As I said earlier, silicone usually bonds to itself very well! Glad to hear it worked out though ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:11 pm

Fleafa
Junkie

Return to Dr Polymer