[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Mould cut for looped shape?
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Mould cut for looped shape?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Mould cut for looped shape?

Postby follox » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:42 pm

Please can anybody help me visualise how to cut this mould? I know I've asked similar before but I really want to cast this shape and I'm so stuck :(

Cutting along the contours is pretty much a no-go (middle pic) because it's so fiddly and you're left with columns of silicone between the loops which stretch and eventually snap when demoulding. I may be wrong but this doesn't seem the best cut.

Could I cut vertically down straight across the model from end to end and then turn and cut horizontally side to side against the surface - making an inverted T shape? I'd still get the posts between the loops and seems to have potential to be really messy.

Would this be better done as a 2 part mould? Then I guess the 'posts' would only be half length so less fragile. It just seems overkill for something so small (but perhaps I'm just cautious having never made a 2 part mould before!

I know it's just a glorified tube but I really want to make this! *crosses fingers*

https://goo.gl/photos/J3CSWBvk5xDF42ec6
follox
Casual

Re: Mould cut for looped shape?

Postby mangozac » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:25 am

You're looking at this the wrong way! You want to cut along the plane of the photo itself. It will be simple as a single part mould ;)

Here's a pic:
snake.png

The red line is the split.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby follox » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:37 am

Aaaah... I did wonder about that way but couldn't see it... would you make the cut along one face of the model then? Stretching out the posts between the loops then slicing them (as I think you described before)?

This is fabulous, thank you. Was a bit downhearted tonight because I was finally going to make a mould for Mr Wiggly (of previous confused posts - I remade him somewhat larger so should be easier!) but I don't have enough flippin' lego. This cheers me up no end, thank you :)
follox
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:38 am

Hahaha glad I could help ;)

No, cut down the centre of the model. To cut the inner loop areas just stretch the silicone out a bit and then cut - the cut will end up in the middle.
mangozac

Postby follox » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:12 pm

I seeeeee! Being dim :) Final clarification - are you suggesting just cutting the two sides? I think that makes more sense, just want to be sure. Thanks!
follox
Casual

Postby mangozac » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:35 am

I don't understand what you mean. Cutting the two sides?
mangozac

Postby follox » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:23 am

Sorry - I mean exactly as you illustrate, cut along two sides, or imagining there's a cut on the left face (hidden in the diagram cos of the perspective!). I know it's not really important, I'm likely to start with two edges anyway and I suspect see how it goes - I was just curious :)
follox
Casual

Postby mangozac » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:04 am

Oh I see. No, you just can't see the cut on the other side. The split goes right through the mould and almost all the way to the bottom ;)
mangozac

Postby follox » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:17 pm

Fab, thank you - I shall give it a go :)
follox
Casual

Postby follox » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:24 pm

Rockin', thanks to you! :D

follox
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:02 pm

Nice.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:54 am

Nice one! Great to see you're having so much success!
mangozac

Return to Dr Polymer