[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Alumilite RC-3 Problem
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Alumilite RC-3 Problem

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Alumilite RC-3 Problem

Postby lamont » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:20 pm

I have never run into this problem until now. I usually cast Smooth-On 305, Insta Cast and Crystal Clear 202, but this time I am trying Alumilite RC-3. When the resin has begun curing the resin level gets lower in the corners and I end up with "clipped" corners. I tried dragging some excess resin beyond the mold edge in the corners with a stirring rod, hoping, resin would get drawn down into the corners when the resin level sinks, but it's not working. That's a platinum-cure silicone mold (2258) and I use Mann Mold Release 2000, in case it matters. Please examine the "clipped" corners in the image that I took.

I have tried casting with chilled (fridge) resin to slow doen the curing proces, but the "clipped" corners are still happening.

Has anybody here who has used RC-3 run into this problem? Any advice? Thanks!

lamont
Casual

Re: Alumilite RC-3 Problem

Postby mangozac » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:40 am

From what I've just read RC3 is a very low budget resin, so I expect that you're just experiencing shrinkage as it cures. Corners will be the first areas it pulls away from.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby lamont » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:00 am

Well, RC-3 is much more expensive than Insta Cast and about on par with Smooth ON 305. Neither of the latter two resins exhibits noticeable shrinkage. In very shallow molds, RC-3 does not show the problem either. Other than cooling the resin, which did not make any difference, how can I slow the curing process?
lamont
Casual

Postby RageofAchilles » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:37 am

Try multiple pours of thin layers into the mould, if you don't see the shrinkage then it's probably a problem being caused by the heat generated in larger pours. This causes some of the resin to evapourate in the curing and causes shrinkage. Sometimes in a closed mould the same problem will cause resin expansion instead, as the gases try to escape.

A problem more common in general purpose urethanes
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby lamont » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:30 pm

lamont
Casual

Postby RageofAchilles » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:02 pm

Excellent news!
RageofAchilles
Habit