[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Cleaning up.
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Cleaning up.

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Cleaning up.

Postby blacksmithn » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:50 am

What cleaning solution do you use to clean up:

1) Silicone in its raw (unmixed with catalyst) state?
2) Silicone catalyst?
3) Both stages of the unmixed resin?
blacksmithn
Casual

Re: Cleaning up.

Postby RageofAchilles » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:04 am

An alcohol based cleaning fluid is good for any of those. Turpentine (if you don't mind the smell) but white spirit (mineral spirits in the US) should do the job. Use rags or cloth to clean up, but don't just chuck them in the bin that is how chemical combustion can happen ( only really an issue with thinners though).
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby blacksmithn » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:08 am

Great! I have mineral spirits. Now I'll get to work cleaning up my mess.....
blacksmithn
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:20 am

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby blacksmithn » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:16 am

LOL! No, not really. In preparation for all the casting I went to the local Dollar Store and bought several sets of measuring cups and mixing bowls and the used utensils were piling up in my workspace. I could've just tossed them, but that seemed like such a waste, even at a mere dollar. So, after learning what to use to clean up, I spent 20 minutes going over everything with mineral spirits, getting things nice and tidy. Then I did some more casting and messed it all back up again! :lol:
blacksmithn
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:14 am

Ahh I see.

Fortunately I'm only generally mixing small amounts of silicone - at most 200g at a time - so I actually just do it in a single cup. Then once the silicone is cured it can be peeled out. I know it's dumb when disposable cups are indeed disposable, but I just don't like the waste ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to Dr Polymer