ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

'Eco' / 'Bio' resins?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

'Eco' / 'Bio' resins?

Postby FlowolF » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Hiya folks, been a while - hope everyone's (casting) well! ',;~}~

I'm really wanting to give an eco-bio resin or two a try, and wondering if I can find out a bit more before I take a shot at one - can only find one mention on the forum - anyone here ever actually used any?

The 'Super Sap' based one seems to stack up fairly well on paper, but is only partially made from non-petroleum sources, and I'm struggling to source any of the others - canonbury arts was retailing a promising looking one, but is no longer selling materials at all, and I can't seem to find it at the place they were getting it from.

Anyway any pointers greatfuly recieved.

Cheers and be well folks!

Shaun/FloWolF
FlowolF
Casual

Re: 'Eco' / 'Bio' resins?

Postby mangozac » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:26 am

I have zero knowledge regarding such products, but it would certainly be very interesting to hear how they perform. If you try one out please report back!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: 'Eco' / 'Bio' resins?

Postby FlowolF » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:15 pm

Will do bud - may be a while yet as I ended up spending £50 on some more (1.8kg) clear urethane and pigments, stuff I'm used to - the only one of the bioresins I could get was the Super Sap based stuff - still an epoxy, and still has a large petrochemical content. Plus their shipping at ~£16+ (at cost though) was almost as much as their 3/4 litre sample size, and I'm broke! No one else has been back in touch with me either.

'They' need to get 'their' skates on and deduce a low viscosity, clear and optically stable hemp derived casting resin.

'That'd be nice' as they say round 'ere.

Cheers!

Shaun.
FlowolF
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer