[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - It was SHRINKAGE!!!
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

It was SHRINKAGE!!!

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

It was SHRINKAGE!!!

Postby blacksmithn » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:16 am

To steal a line from George Costanza. After a brief hiatus from casting due to the ridiculously hot weather, I got back to work and cast some scale tires. They came out pretty nice:

The only trouble I had is the shrinkage I experienced on some of these castings:

Is this a completely normal phenomenon? And is there anything I can do to either keep it from happening again or to keep it to as little shrinkage as possible?
blacksmithn
Casual

Re: It was SHRINKAGE!!!

Postby RageofAchilles » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:33 am

Some resins don't behave well over a certain thickness, the heat of the reaction causes evaporation and results in shrinkage in an open mould and expansion in a closed mould. Another addict had a similar problem recently I think. try pouring in small amounts to build up the tyres in layers rather than one resin dump. 3 separate pours per tyre should help.
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:26 am

Can you remind us what resin you're using?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby blacksmithn » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:29 pm

The Specialty Resin 2 minute resin, in this case. I had almost a quart left after my first flat car attempt and I found the quick stuff was just perfect for a small job like this. I also discovered that I can avoid the shrinkage problem if I add an additional drop of resin once I fill the individual tire mold. Just a drop. Add more and it runs all over, of course, but just a drop and the surface tension seems to keep it all together. Any protruding excess can be easily removed after setting by running the back of the tire over a piece of sand paper laid on a flat surface.
blacksmithn
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:18 am

You've got it sorted! Don't need us at all :P

It does sound like that particular resin product has a high degree of shrinkage though. The rare times I've done open top moulds I've tended to have the opposite problem - moisture tends to make the resin foam/expand somewhat...
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby blacksmithn » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:59 pm

Well, keep in mind that I'm doing my casting outside in in Southern California, where it is absurdly warm and, at this particular point, not humid at all. So, picking up airborne moisture isn't a problem. I do have to do most of my casting in the morning, though, before the heat hits. When I've tried casting after the temps go up, my resin (which, as noted, is fast anyway) sets way too fast. How fast? Well, it's the difference between being able to pour one mold set of 8 tires and 4 dual rear tires or 2 such sets.
blacksmithn
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer