ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

4pu no more?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

4pu no more?

Postby chromedog » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:55 am

OK, so the last time I moulded and cast ANYTHING was about 2 years ago. I got some pinkysil and 4PU from Barnes when I was down in Sydney (yes, I could have had it shipped to me, but I was around the corner at RPA anyway so 2 birds, one stone.)

I've got some terrain pieces that I've made up that I want to cast. I go to their site, and 4PU seems to be no more. I know about the changes they had made to 4pu - and I figured I'd adapt - I've got scales, I've got good "instincts" and I know how to do calculations.

Is it still around? If it isn't, what is the current replacement (similar properties, including pot life).
chromedog
Casual

Re: 4pu no more?

Postby mangozac » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:43 pm

That's quite interesting. I haven't even looked at 4PU for ages - perhaps the new formula proved unsuitable for more people than just scale model manufacturers?

I have done a lot of searching from time to time and have stuck with Procast from Barnes ever since the 4PU formulation was changed. It's got a good pot life and Shore hardness but I will admit is a bit on the slow side for curing. It needs to be left for at least 1.5 hours before demoulding for small parts like I do. Larger parts you could get away with 1 hour.

Oh if only we could go back to the original formula 4PU :(

The other resin everybody loves is Smooth On Smooth Cast 305, but it's stupidly expensive here in Oz and more importantly seems to be every aggressive on Barnes silicone products. I tried it out and although it was an awesome resin it destroyed moulds at an insane rate.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: 4pu no more?

Postby johncast » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:55 pm

Yes the 4PU, totally useless. Have about 1.5 kgs still here to use up. As Barns were short on supplies of the Easycast a few months ago I did a few castings with the 4PU, nothing complex just easy castings in O scale. All cast perfect under pressure but couldn't take the mould apart for over an hour, until the castings cured strong enough, . The next day the castings were still stickie and still a little soft. waste of time the 4PU.

Even a casting I did months ago with 450 grams of 4PU resin I allowed to set in the mould for 5 hours before demoulding , still a little soft when I demoulded and continued to droop sag and distort days after casting.

Johncast
johncast
User

Return to Dr Polymer