ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Paint Pressure pot into Vac/Press chamber

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Paint Pressure pot into Vac/Press chamber

Postby FragTag » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi all, just wondering if anyone that has converted one of those SCA 10lt paint pressure pots from Supercheap auto into a Vac/Pressure chamber might know the thread sizes on the lid? I want to replace all the fittings on the lid so I can use standard size valves and connectors, starting with adaptors to bring the threaded ports on the lid to 3/8". Anyone know what the thread sizes are?
FragTag
Casual

Re: Paint Pressure pot into Vac/Press chamber

Postby mangozac » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:53 am

Almost all of the pressure pots have the same threads and if I remember correctly it's a strange mix of thread types. At least one of the ports is 1/4" BSP. If you purchase the pot and measure the port threads we can fairly easily determine what they are.

I presume you're querying because the pressure pots are on sale at Super Cheap this week?

I remember a short while back someone was doing a conversion and planned to report back with all of the sizes but I just did a quick search and couldn't find it :/
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby FragTag » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:08 am

Cheers for the response, I've ended up using some of the fittings on the pot lid, 1/4" and 3/8". Keen to give the pot a go. I've had the pot for a few years, but did buy it on sale some time ago.
FragTag
Casual

Postby FragTag » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:13 pm

Another question on a related thread. When degaussing silicon rubber (Ultrasil Pro), without being able to watch the process due to the paint pot lid (i.e. see it bubble up to breaking point and release), what vacuum do you take your mix to and how long do you wait for it to settle before reopening the chamber and using the silicon? My first attempt was not great with it bubbling over and still having bubbles in it when I opened the lid, despite it being in a very large container for a small test run sample (2x the volume of silicon). My pump is an old laboratory pump that pulls down very quickly (around 20 secs to 29.0inHg - rated to 29.9inHg). I was wondering if it was pulling vacuum too quickly and causing a violent reaction?
FragTag
Casual

Postby mangozac » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:10 pm

You really need a window for degassing silicone - it will happy expand upwards of 4 times its original volume! I only use the pressure chamber for vacuuming resin, which has minimal expansion.

I have a purpose built chamber for vacuuming silicone these days and I actually have to control the vacuum level otherwise the silicone will usually overflow whatever it's in. You don't need an intense level of vacuum to get the air out of the silicone.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby FragTag » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:58 am

Thanks again!
FragTag
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer