[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Which resin type used in this figure?
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Which resin type used in this figure?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Which resin type used in this figure?

Postby foxmulder » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:15 am

So the color is not important. Main features are that it is hard, has fine details, sandable/polishable and during casting "air facing surface" solidify to an almost mirror finish. I know many of these features are relative but still with your experience you may have an idea what I can use.

If anyone has an idea please let me know. Since I have easy access to Smooth-on line, if you may happen to suggest a product from their lineup, it will be much appreciated.
foxmulder
Casual

Re: Which resin type used in this figure?

Postby mangozac » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:39 am

Why is the "air facing surface" finish so important? That's just going to be cut off from the model. Smooth Cast 305 is fantastic, but note that to achieve results like you're after you will need a vacuum and pressure casting setup.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby foxmulder » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:47 am

The mirror like surface is not important but I thought it will give you guys some clue about the type of the resin. Also, I thought if it can solidify like that it can be polished well, too.
foxmulder
Casual

Postby foxmulder » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:53 am

Just to give you an idea what I am after, I want to have pieces similar to billiard balls when it comes to hardness and look. So, with Smooth Cast 305, can I achieve that?
foxmulder
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:35 am

I have no idea about the harness - you need to find out the hardness of a billiard ball and compare it to the Shore hardness of the resin. The resin definitely won't be as hard, but whether or not it's hard enough is the question.

While an extremely smooth finish is possible, you will have a mould line around the part which will need cleanup and removal and will likely mar the finish.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby foxmulder » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:50 am

I did more research and I think Smooth cast 321 looks good on paper. Any of you guys have experience with this particular resin?
foxmulder
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:17 am

I'm using its faster sibling, SC-320, and finding it very good. Perhaps prefers a thicker cast than SC-300.

Fleafa
Junkie

Return to Dr Polymer