[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Brand New and looking for advice
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Brand New and looking for advice

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Brand New and looking for advice

Postby Fleafa » Fri May 13, 2016 5:27 am

I have bought a second since I recommended this pot. Are you getting a vacuum pump too?

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby chinwag » Fri May 13, 2016 7:14 pm

Thanks Fleafa,

I was just going to go with the pot, try and source a suitable compressor, and go from there.

If I'm honest I'm a little confused about the vacuum pump side of things - is that to vacuum degass using the same pot?

Thanks.
chinwag
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Mon May 16, 2016 8:12 pm

Vacuum removes most of the bubbles introduced by mixing, as well as some air pockets.
Pressure reduces the size of the bubbles and increases the density of the cast plastic.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby chinwag » Thu May 19, 2016 12:47 am

Ah OK, thanks.

I might start with the pressure pot and compressor, then add the vacuum pump etc further down the line.

From what I've read I should see a lot of improvement with the pressure pot alone?

The vacuum side of things seems like a pretty straightforward conversion, I'm sure when I come to it, it won't be that simple!
chinwag
Casual

Postby mangozac » Thu May 19, 2016 7:23 am

It depends on the parts. Using pressure alone you will still need to have proper gates and vents designed (resin in the gate, air out the vent), which can be a pain for small parts.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby chinwag » Tue May 24, 2016 11:47 pm

thanks mangozac,

at the moment my molds are really simple, one part molds, with the odd 2 part mold as well, nothing really small, maybe 2cm at the smallest.

I'm assuming I don't need to do anything special with the one part molds, I'll have a read up on gating/venting and see what I need to do for the 2 parts, thanks for pointing it out.

I'm still trying to settle on a compressor so I have some time to read up!
chinwag
Casual

Previous

Return to Dr Polymer