ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Pressure Casting and Resin Hardness

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Pressure Casting and Resin Hardness

Postby CatMorgan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:06 am

It's been a long time since I did a lot of this, and I don't talk to the people that taught me, so glad to be here!

I seem to remember when I was learning how to pressure cast from some guys that did anime garage kits that there was a discussion about using pressure to make the resin harder. I seem to remember them telling me that one of them had pranked a friend by casting a kit at some outrageous PSI (Jupiter was mentioned) and that made the resin super hard to deal with using normal tools (Dremel, etc.)

True or were they just messing with the newb? I ask because while I get back into this I putting together a teaching presentation for some groups I work with. I know at least one of the groups is going to ask about tolerances for prototyping parts.

Thanks!
CatMorgan
Casual

Re: Pressure Casting and Resin Hardness

Postby mangozac » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:41 am

I can imagine it does make the resin somewhat stronger, but I wouldn't have thought it would be that much of a difference. I know that Lexus produces their carbon fibre parts for the LFA production using giant pressure chambers, but I wonder how much of that is to do with simply removing bubbles and ensuring the carbon fibres are properly impregnated vs increasing the actual strength of the resin itself?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to Dr Polymer