ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Weird Thing Happened to Me Today Mold Making

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Weird Thing Happened to Me Today Mold Making

Postby CatMorgan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:47 am

So Showing kids how to do this in drama club. I've made mold boxes using LEGO before --- I used CopyFlex food-grade silicone to make candy molds last summer and it worked great (I made molds to make candy lego and just build the box out of the LEGO too.)

Drama teacher got OOMOO 25 cause it was the cheapest (I suspect this is the problem; I told him to get CopyFlex) to make bottle molds for sugar. Built a box of LEGO around bottle, poured OOMOO and ... it started oozing out of the bottom of the box. Is OOMOO thinner than usual? We saved it by packing it with playdoh I had in my room from knife practice (I teach foods and know how to make molds, which is how I ended up doing this) and it worked but I've never seen liquid silicone leak. Is my gut right that OOMOO is just cheap and thin or did I miss something else?

Thanks!
CatMorgan
Casual

Re: Weird Thing Happened to Me Today Mold Making

Postby mangozac » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:46 am

Oomoo is pretty common so that of itself shouldn't be an issue. And being thin doesn't translate to being cheap - it's just different properties. For marking anything more than a simple mould you want it as thin as possible to help remove bubbles.

How was the Lego box being held down?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby CatMorgan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:24 am

Just the LEGO on the baseplate. Packing it with Playdoh (homemade so no sulfur, just flour, oil, salt and water) stemmed the tide. I'm looking at pics from last summer and I'm thinking we needed to make the wall more than 1 Lego deep?

Sugar bottles look awesome tho and shatter great!

Thanks!
CatMorgan
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:26 pm

Ahh I see. Yeah I usually build my moulds from the two stud wide bricks. I also make a point of pressing down really heavily on the box once it's been made to make sure the bricks are tightly joined ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to Dr Polymer