[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Restoring ammolite pendant
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Restoring ammolite pendant

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Restoring ammolite pendant

Postby moozix » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:28 am

Hello!

I bought an ammolite pendant some time ago and absolutely loved wearing it. However, after around 4 weeks of wearing the resin coating the pendant started to peel off at the back and almost reached the front of it. Because of that I decided to stop wearing it but having come across it lately I decided I'd like to restore it to its former beauty and be able to wear it again.

Is it possible to apply a second layer of resin on top of the previous one? Would peeling occur with every resin or just specific types? Any tips on the best way to do it?

I have no experience with resin casting so I hope I could use your experience :)

Would be grateful for any tips!

I attached few images so that you can see the state of the pendant

Thanks!

moozix
Casual

Re: Restoring ammolite pendant

Postby mangozac » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:00 pm

You can definitely pour some new resin over the old stuff. My girlfriend is a jeweller and I remember her commenting one time that things like this are common. I would expect that a decent coat of a 2-part resin should be pretty hardy though (certainly hardier than 4 weeks!). What clear resins do you have access to?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to Dr Polymer