ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Wait until completely cured to demold?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Wait until completely cured to demold?

Postby stringpickin » Sun May 15, 2016 2:59 pm

Hello and good day!.. I am brand new to mold making. Am making a mold for a prototype patent pending object.

I am using smooth-on moldstar 15 slow.. My object is pretty technical and has thin appendages and various sections to the part..

Is there any reason why I could not wait until the 15 is completely cured to de-mold?

I am wondering if demolding times are mainly for "reusing the mold" sooner than later. Or is there a technical reason why I should de-mold before completely cured..

Thank your time.. And forgive if it has been asked before.. I searched but could not find this question specifically..

Stringpickin
stringpickin
Casual

Re: Wait until completely cured to demold?

Postby mangozac » Mon May 16, 2016 7:28 am

Nope, no reason at all. In fact it's better for the moulds to demould earlier, as a degree of flexibility of the part means less stress on the silicone. Through experimenting you'll find the optimal time after which to demould and it will depend on the part and mould design. Too early and you'll warp your part too much as you demould it (which isn't the end of the world, as you will be able to straighten the part again post curing with a heatgun, but it's better to avoid this).
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to Dr Polymer