[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Gloss but how?
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Gloss but how?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Gloss but how?

Postby notinswitzerland » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:12 am

Hi everyone, first post and hope I can gather your thoughts on this!!

I'm doing life casts of peoples heads using smooth-on products simply because that is what I was recommended in the store.
I'm using smooth cast 326 to roto cast (by hand) the heads and have gotten that process down really well. The detail is amazing, so much so that I go in afterwards and sand a bunch of it down. After the sanding process I've been wanting to make the heads glossy, kind of like the inside of the cast. That wet, candy like smooth texture is what I'm going for.
My first thought was to spray paint the head but I instantly noticed that the acrylic spray paint didnt adhere very well to the resin. Even primer didn't quite stick!
So I thought maybe I just give it another layer of resin! I used smooth cast 327 because of its lower viscosity and longer work time but again the resin kind of just stuck in some places and dripped off other places.
Last but not least I tried high flow acrylic paint from Golden which is applied by pouring on and it stuck really well! But its not high gloss :( So I tried resin on it, which didnt stick. Again.

It almost seems like the surface tension of resin is too high to adhere to the hardened resin?
Are there any known techniques? Anything you ladies or gentlemen can suggest?

Any help is appreciated!
Best,
n.i.s
notinswitzerland
Casual

Re: Gloss but how?

Postby mangozac » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:38 am

MY only suggestion you've already covered - applying layers of paint. It's odd that the primer didn't stick to the Smooth Cast. What primer did you use? Are you using a mould release?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby notinswitzerland » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:56 am

notinswitzerland
Casual

Postby mangozac » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:07 pm

Glad you got it sorted!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac