[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Epoxy additive recommendation
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Epoxy additive recommendation

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Epoxy additive recommendation

Postby WinnebagoPaddles » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:55 pm

Hi! First time post and I'm hoping to get some recommendations.

First off, I own a custom canoe paddle company. To this point, I have been using epoxy thickened with silica and color pigment for tip protection on some of my paddles. This serves it's purpose and provides a nice hard tip to help protect the wooden paddle. However, thickened epoxy has no pliability and will crack over time with rough usage.

I'm wondering if anyone has some ideas on other additives that may offer more shock absorption and pliability. If not pliable, would there be a better material that may be harder and less "crackable" than the silica?

Another company, Bending Branches uses a urethane material derived from inline skate wheels, which makes me wonder about other possibilities.

Some ideas I had were ground tire rubber (http://www.quadratec.com/products/14066 ... AhGX8P8HAQ)

or the other extreme would be carbide steel powder?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated....thanks!!!
WinnebagoPaddles
Casual

Re: Epoxy additive recommendation

Postby mangozac » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:29 am

Does it need to be epoxy? As you mention other manufacturers using, polyurethanes are available in a varying hardnesses and even a rubbery finish.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby WinnebagoPaddles » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:33 am

I suppose it doesn't need to be epoxy-based. Do you have any recommendations with the polyurethanes? Don't have much background with them so any tips or suggestions would give me a head start! Thanks!
WinnebagoPaddles
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:57 am

Smooth On are the most popular supplier I know of in the US, but any other industrial resin supplier should be able to advise something.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:58 pm

I'd speak to the major manufacturers of various urethane resins and rubbers and then buy some samples of their recommendations.

Fleafa
Junkie

Return to Dr Polymer