[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Faster Vacuum, multiple pumps
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Faster Vacuum, multiple pumps

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Faster Vacuum, multiple pumps

Postby marctech » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:02 am

Anyone had success with using multiple pumps for dealing with shorter pot-life resins?

I have a pretty decent dual-stage robinar 1hp vacuum pump (8cfm) which is pretty quick for my 5gal chamber but it is painfully slow for my 15gal (which i put entire molds into).

When vacuuming the whole mold i suppose i don't need to get to -29inHg, i really just need to get past 25, quickly, so i can lift the cover and pour more resin, etc.

I suppose there are other practical considerations, my current pump is 9A which means i have at most another 6A pump on the same circuit. I could use another circuit if it was necessary.

Is this whole idea silly? Should i bother getting another dual-stage? Single is cheaper and has higher cfm/$ but lower ultimate vacuum strength. Do i need to get a similarly sized pump or will anything i get be additive?
marctech
Casual

Re: Faster Vacuum, multiple pumps

Postby mangozac » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:53 am

The only potential problem I can see is that the pump speeds won't be closely matched and this could cause more stress on one of the pumps. I'd be inclined to just find a single, suitably sized pump.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:59 pm

I think you'll just get a tug of war between them.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby marctech » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:35 pm

It does appear to work, though it makes the most difference once a strong vacuum is being pulled.

The speed from 0-25inHg is maybe 15% faster, but the speed after that seems to be improved quite a bit.

I'll measure the time to various pressures and in various chambers to paint a more complete picture.

The gain is not strictly additive, there is significant loss as I assumed possible.
marctech
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer