ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

filling a groove that wraps around a cylinder shape.

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

filling a groove that wraps around a cylinder shape.

Postby shawnbks9090 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:31 pm

Hello. Im making a rounded wood base for an etched acrylic piece I did. I like alternating different colored woods. Like you may have seen woodworkers do with cutting boards.

This base isnt a cylinder exactly but it might be the easiest way to imagine what Im having trouble with. Not that ive tried doing it yet-im just thinking of it and know im going to run into some issues.

How would I -after I route/cut a few grooves about a 1/4 of an inch around this base- fill up the grooves with some colored resin?

I figure that when the resin flows towards the point of the grooves that turn round the back itll run and drip out and be thin in that area-not to mention not fill the grooved section in the back of the base account of gravity doing what it does.

How could I fill these grooves with resin?
shawnbks9090
Casual

Re: filling a groove that wraps around a cylinder shape.

Postby Gadzooks » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:58 pm

This would require sanding / polishing after but might work out

Wrap the grooves with some tape, make a pour spout in the top and fill super slow to let all of the air out

throw it on a lathe and remove tape / smooth out resin - wear a mask and get some air flow as resin is horrible to breathe in

you might get some bleed from the edges of the tape, so depending on the piece will require different amounts of cleanup / removal of wood/resin on the edges
Gadzooks
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer