[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - CNC machining for miniatures
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

CNC machining for miniatures

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: CNC machining for miniatures

Postby amph » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:43 am

Yes! I will use it for making my prototype toys, and the casting copies.
I have to print the toys in two pieces because the machine don't have full 3d capabilities, but gluing the halves and with a little bit of postproduction it's just more than fine.
For me this machine is perfect, the resolution is incredible, and can achieve a really smooth surface.
I think everyone is obsessed with addaptive 3d printing, but now it's still far away from being enough smooth without the horrible stair stepping effect.
I thing this beauty is a little bit unnoticed, but u can expect a million times better result (in surface quality and resolution) than a reprap or others diy 3d printers.

Hope to show u soon my my results!!!
amph
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:58 am

I agree a lot with your comments. Yes, people get very excited about 3D printing, but a 3D printer with sufficient resolution for modelling use is simply far too expensive. DIY deposition based 3D printers are miles off. UV curing printers are better but still not fine enough for modelling at fine scales.

If you get the iM-01 do you think you could start a thread on it here? I would be really interested to hear about your experiences getting started with it!

One thing to note is that I've read that the spindle motor only has a lifespan of about 50 hours, but replacements are very cheap (<$10), so it might be worth picking up a couple of spares when you buy the machine. Also a couple of different size tool tips.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby amph » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:14 am

!Yes!! i'll start a thread with my results with the imodela!
This week I'll have the opportunity of test one in FabLab Barcelona (a lab of digital fabrication).
I'll post the results for sure!

Anyway, I bet this is a perfect machine for u, miniature guys, or isn't???
amph
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:09 am

I think its use for actual miniatures is limited - the finite size of the cutter means that there will be a limit to the details for making things like 28mm figures. Where I think it will be useful is for equipment, weapons and vehicle parts. But we'll know for sure once we try some stuff out and see the results!
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:41 pm

It'd be perfect for wheels and vehicle parts.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby amph » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:53 pm

Yes! definitly for make vehicles and weapons it have to be so good, and the best thing is u can choose a variety of materials, (but i bet for a smooth finish, the resinplastic is the way to go). But u have to be clever and split your model in the correct amount of pieces, because imodela don't have a 4 axis, so can't mill undercuts.
But a little bit of hand work is nice, it give the final touch!!!

Anyne more is thinking to get one??

Cheers from Barcelona
amph
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:19 am

I read somewhere that the postage of the £500 unit to the UK is almost £500. Madness!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:50 am

Yeah I read that too, but am pretty dubious. Perhaps that was true initially, but any Roland stockists in the UK should be able to send it to you for a realistic cost.

Amph: there are many suitable materials that would depend on the application. Foam would be nice to use sometimes (quick and easy for making prototypes). Machinable wax is also useful for parts that will be cast without any extra work.
mangozac

Previous

Return to Dr Polymer