ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Forgeworld Cobra Missing Parts - What Next?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Forgeworld Cobra Missing Parts - What Next?

Postby axiom » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi all, I'm looking for some assistance. I have just bought a second-hand OOP Forgeworld Cobra (type I) super-heavy which I thought was complete. When it arrived, it was missing two of the fins running round the barrel of the d-cannon see pic:

Obviously I'd like to replace the missing fins and am looking for suggestions of how to do it. Plasticard is one option, and although I could shape some pieces to match the profile, they are actually not flat pieces on the plane shown in the pic. I've not yet done any casting and wouldn't know where to start (not to mention the issue of IP etc).

Any advice is gratefully received!
axiom
Casual

Re: Forgeworld Cobra Missing Parts - What Next?

Postby mangozac » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:29 am

Really, styrene is your best bet here, and won't be so bad to do for just two fins.

I'd start with some 2mm thick stuff (I don't stock any of that so I'd just laminate two pieces of 1mm with heaps of plastic cement). I'm not sure whether I'd sand the styrene to the required curved shape first and then cut out the fin shape, or the other way around. Trial and error will give you a good answer ;)

Have a look at Paulson's bonswords for an idea of how well the styrene will come up. Make sure you've got some sandpaper in around 400 and 800 grit, and a decent fine file set with half-rounds to get the front curve right.

Keep use posted!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to Dr Polymer