[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Vallejo Paints
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Vallejo Paints

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Vallejo Paints

Postby mangozac » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:00 pm

Hey team,

Well for the coming months I'm back for my final semester of uni, and my living arrangements will mean I won't be able to take my modelling equipment with me. What I am hoping however is that I can take some paints and brushes with me and get back into some mini painting (it's been probably 18 months since I've put brush to plastic). The plan is to make a little diorama using Paulson's next planned <top secret> kit.

Anyway after going through all of my old GW paints I've found that many of them are a bit too dry. Additionally they're mostly in those annoying old screw top pots. I realise that I could just pop a few drops (or in this case droppers) of water or windex or alcohol or whatever else and revive them but I do prefer the idea of starting again with some wonderful Vallejo paints.

I've got a couple of Vallejo model colour paints I bought a couple of years ago to test out and I have to say that at the time I found them to be far superior to the GW ones. So ultimately my question here is not one of should I get Vallejo? but one of which Vallejos should I get?.

Looking it would be nice to get one of the 8 or 16 colour sets, but I really have no idea which one to get.

I want to be doing more realistic, earth toned minis (I suppose akin to FW masterclass) rather than the usual, bright GW style. Kind of like (although he mainly uses lacquer paints), or even like Warhound did . I have no problem having to mix paints to get the colour I want on one off jobs.

Any suggestions?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Vallejo Paints

Postby Vaaish » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:44 pm

If you are going for smaller numbers, I'd get stuff you can mix to make other colors. White, Black, Red, Yellow, Blue. For metals you should get a dark metal, medium, and bright silver same for gold.

That's 5 colors for your base, and another 6 to get the shades for metals. That gives you 11. From there fill it out with your earth tones like green-brown, khaki, dark brown, etc.

From what I can gather, the WWII german 16 color set looks like it covers most bases. You will probably want a more intense red, blue, and yellow. I can't tell if it includes metals or not, but you might need to add in gold.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Re: Vallejo Paints

Postby mangozac » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Thanks Vaaish. I was thinking the WWII German pack also.

I just went though my existing Vallejo paints and I've already got two shades of tan yellow, a yellow-green, two shades of dark grey and a deep sky blue. Like you say it would probably be worth grabbing an intense red and yellow too.

Oh I just found out I have 5 quid of "money back" from Maelstrom games! That equates to about $10 of the ~$50 price of the 16 paint pack, and free shipping!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to Dr Polymer