[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Polyurethane foam
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Polyurethane foam

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Polyurethane foam

Postby Grover » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:23 pm

I was reading blind pig's thread where he mentions the R-Foam and I was curious as to whether or not they make a flexible or soft foam that can be cast the same way.

I have quite a few friends who are into sword fighting. There are hundreds of people who gather at the park every weekend and thousands who participate in week-long LARP's. They build their own swords and other weapons out of foam over PVC piping or fiberglass rods. Most of the time, they're made from foam camping mats cut into strips and glued to the rods and then covered in duct tape.

There's a niche market for molded foam weapons, but they're usually made out of latex and tend to be very expensive. Latex weapons tend to go for $75 or more for standard shapes and up to double that for custom shapes whereas the ones made from camping mats cost about $20 to build. Also, homemade ones are much more resilient, so most people who do own molded weapons tend to only use them at major events for fear of damaging them and not being able to show them off.

Needless to say 99% of the weapons seen are the homemade mats-and-tape variety. If I could drop the cost of standard molded weapons to $40 or less, they would sell like hotcakes.

Personally, the battles aren't my thing, but I would still love to profit from them :D
Grover
Casual

Re: Polyurethane foam

Postby mangozac » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby blind pig » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:43 pm

blind pig
Junkie

Postby Grover » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:20 am

Grover
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:00 am

Certainly if the piece being moulded is flexible then the mould can be rigid. I just had a look at that link and I've got a pretty good idea of what you're after now. It's still out of my league though :lol:

So I suppose you could make the mould from resin and design it so the fibreglass rod can be inserted down the middle and the foam then added. Actually looking at those examples, the sword could probably be designed so that a lot of the detail doesn't require any flexing between the mould and cast (like if you were injection moulding metal moulds with styrene).
mangozac

Postby Grover » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:47 am

What I'm curious about is how they get the rod in the middle because those swords are made in a single piece and the rod is padded all around.
Grover
Casual

Postby blind pig » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:43 am

blind pig
Junkie

Postby Grover » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:09 am

But wouldn't that simply push the rod upward until it hit the top of the mold?

And it would probably push it off center both widthwise and lengthwise.
Grover
Casual

Postby blind pig » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:05 pm

blind pig
Junkie

Postby Brennall » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:30 pm

No wonder your sig on other forums ..

"No, I will not cast stuff up for you. Don't ask."

If you have Titan class model moulds!

I have never moulded it .. but I have an unpainted unassembled one of these ...

When I work out how to do nicely supported moulds! ... I always wanted to do a Gargant based Waagghh .. using the old Armorcast Models and the new Stompas with the FW add-ons.

The new Forgeworld Phantom is going to look incredible ... ahhh I just love titans of any shape ... its an addiction. I have an Armorcast Warhound, Armorcast Reaver, Armorcast Gargant, FW Warhound, FW Reaver ... and every day I get the urge for the FW Nid Heirophant .. and the FW Eldar Revenants.

oops off topic ... Sorry .. Yes back on track ...

umm Poly foam ... You can embed items into moulds with significant success, I have had moulds containing fine metal rods to add strength somewhat similar to blind pig, I also recently saw magnets embedded in the mould and then cast around them.
Brennall
Casual

Postby blind pig » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:57 pm

blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:30 am

mangozac

Postby blind pig » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:26 am

blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:48 pm

That's true, I've been approached with similar requests quite a few times, and although they don't say it you can tell they are shocked at the prices I quote ;)
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:14 am

blind pig
Junkie

Next

Return to Dr Polymer