[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Is this a good resin?
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Is this a good resin?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Is this a good resin?

Postby Kiour_gr » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:56 am

Hello,
I am looking in the near future to do some casting when my project is done.

I have found this resin and I am thinking of giving a go
"Sika G27LV Low Viscosity Polyurethane Casting Resin 2kg

G27 LV is a very low viscosity casting resin for small section parts.
This resin is very searching and will pick out very fine detail.
The viscosity is 35 mPas
Mixed pot life of 2 minutes.
Demould time approximatly 15 minutes according to thickness.
Cure time approximately 3 hours. "
Found here:
http://www.sylmasta.com/acatalog/copy_o ... esins.html

Does anyone now a lower Viscosity resin?
I am going to attempt casting without a preasure chamber if that fails i might invest in a presure pot.
Kiour_gr
Casual

Re: Is this a good resin?

Postby mangozac » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:45 am

I'd personally steer clear of that resin for one reason: the pot life. 2 minutes is a very short amount of time, even if you don't have to muck around with a pressure pot. It's probably due to the heat where I live, but I find the rated pot lives to be absolute maximums and generally get a bit less than what's stated. Last time I tried a resin with 2 min pot life it started setting half way during the pour!

Perhaps Arkangel or one of our other UK members can point you in the right direction. Warhound was getting acceptable results room pressure casting but I don't remember what resin he was using.

You know we really should compile a list of preferred resin products for the main continents. There's a few Aussies on here and we all love the same product, but none of our international members can get it.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Munkey Joe » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:13 am

again necro!!

I am using this guy () for all of my needs. Im with him as Micromark is almost double the price on things. I used Simple 1:1 mix silicone mold making rubber, AM 125
for my molds and will use AeroMarine Casting Resin with these stat lines:
Specifications:
* Shore Hardness: 75D
* Tensile Strength: 2700psi
* Flexural Strength: 2700psi
* Mix Ratio: 1:1 by volume
* Color: Off -white
* Work Life: 3 minutes
* Demold Time: 7-10 minutes

NOw I am hand casting right now with no pressure NOR vacuum, but will try to have some of both after the holidays. Is this a good product for models, bases and general All around stuff?

I know that the molds WILL NOT withstand heat of R98 (Melt Temp Around 466 -590 deg F ) and am looking into purchasing AM 160 hardest shore 60A for this.

I guess my questions are "amidoinitrite?"
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:58 pm

I don't have much experience with the clear resins but they do see to be some pretty tough grade stuff, marine and auto grade resins may be way above what you need for miniatures as they are meant for a lot of wear and abuse. The epoxy resins I've used around teh auto shop are like concrete when cured and can be worked with power sanders but they are pretty exspensive and the fumes are really intense. I'm not sure how those will pan out for hobby level use but might be worth a shot.

I used micromark in the past but I've switched over to smooth-on products which are cheaper and on the whole have been amazing to work with. (http://www.smooth-on.com)

One thing to note is while most companies will list a demold time I've found that with hobby/miniatures casting you should allow for twice the recommended time. The reason is that the parts we are doing are much smaller and thinner so they generate heat and cure slower. The company recommendantions are typically for larger casting with more material, if you are doing large objects like terrain they demold in 10-15 minutes, but or minis it's usually 30+ minutes.
paulson games

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:29 pm

Ace advice Guy!!

I think you might be answering a tonne of my questions in the future!
Well you Warhound, Blind pig, and mangozac. you four will tire from my questions im sure!!
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:47 pm

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:53 pm

Perhaps they don't have summers like us, Zac and three minutes really does mean three minutes?

:lol:

Yeah, for me the longer the pot-life the better. I have started putting my resing in the refridgerator to cool it down and prolong the pot-life.

It does make the resin thicker, but al least it gives me time to pour the resin without it curing as I pour. :cry:

[on topic]

Post a pic, but it does sound as though you need to cut an extra airway (blind or not) into the mould to allow the collecting air to escape.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby Munkey Joe » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:45 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Return to Dr Polymer