[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Imperial Armour Model Masterclass
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Imperial Armour Model Masterclass

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Imperial Armour Model Masterclass

Postby paulson games » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:24 pm

Not to bag on the IA books as they are good, but there are some really awesome paint & modelling books for scale military that go way beyond their techniques.

I really like the Verlinden series of books as the attention to scale military models is completely mindblowing. Lots of techniques for scratch building and just really cool insight on how to do ultra realistic paint details.

I have this one and it's great, the other advatage is they are much cheaper than the IA books

http://www.amazon.com/Verlinden-Way-Vol ... 456&sr=1-6
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby BlueRonin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks for the tip, I ordered a copy!
BlueRonin
User

Postby Barn » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:39 pm

Barn
User

Postby paulson games » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:32 pm

The book has been out of print since 1988, I'm not quite sure how anyone has a "new" copy.

I believe they sold for about $20 at the time it was being published.

It deals a lot with oil paints and powders, the F-4 Phantom cockpit they show on the cover is completely scratchbuilt. Their books are top rate, although sometimes the wording is a bit wonky due to translation issues.
paulson games

Postby Barn » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:35 pm

Cool i'll pick up a copy when I can :)
Barn
User

Postby paulson games » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:50 pm

There's several differant volumes available as well as ones focusing strictly on armor or diorama building so you pick a variety of differant subjects.

Some of the armor books focus on a single tank or vehicle, which is a great option if you want lots of references & detailed photos. However for more generalized books you want the "Verlinden Way" volumes as it covers painting and scratchbuilding.

There's around 90 or so differant verlinden books on Amazon so plenty of reading material out there. They also make a line of conversion parts for WW2 armor.

A lot of the techniques that the IA books cover were stuff that modelers like Verlinden and Tamiya lines pioneered back in the 80s. The advatage of the IA stuff is that they cover the stuff with the established 40k look and feel to their style and a lot of it is more "modern". Some of the old school modelling books are 20+ years old so while still relevant they tend to be dated as a lot of new paints & products can help speed up the process.
paulson games

Postby Munkey Joe » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:17 am

im quickly scanning over these but Sheperd Paine is also a good "paintinig masterclass" series to look at.

he Does alot of Dioramas and such but is an amazing painter. A google search shuold give you results. His Diorama book is aces....

is his home site.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:28 am

One of the reviews of the Verlinden book recommended the Paine book and I almost bought that but it was a little more pricey.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby mangozac » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:06 am

Woohoo my Model Masterclass book arrived yesterday! I spent some time reading it and it's certainly very nice. I must say I do find some of the instructions a little disjointed - IMO anybody not familiar with many of the concepts/techniques would need to do further research on them before implementing them.

Overall I'm very happy with it though, if not for the little tips and tricks then for the inspiration provided ;)
mangozac

Postby BlueRonin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:46 pm

For the novice I tend to recommend picking up the Model Masterclass along with the Citadel "How to Paint Tanks".

Although the Citadel Tank book begins with ZERO assumptions of a modeler's skills, like the others of its range; it actually takes the techniques quite a bit further than the other Citadel books do, and thus almost closes the gap up to Model Masterclass.

I find that my subscription to the US magazine Fine Scale Modeler also is a huge help in learning new twists and techniques. Now If I only had time to experiment and practice with all the stuff I read about...
BlueRonin
User

Postby Dragonforge » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:36 am

Probably the Bible when it comes to painting Armor Models.

F.A.Q.: Frequently Asked Questions on AFV Painting Techniques (Modelling Manuals) [Paperback]

http://www.amazon.com/Q-Frequently-Ques ... 262&sr=1-1

From what I know out of print, so when it pops up its worth it.
Dragonforge
User

Postby blind pig » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:50 pm

The FW AI Model Masterclass book uses klear floor polish for many of the techniques; and as per Fingolfins' post over on WAU, we cannot easily get Klear floor polish here in Australia.

A similar product is Pledge One Go found mainly at Coles Supermarkets for less than $6.

When buying your Pledge, have a look inside the bottle and buy the one that is clear, or near clear, and not the old, yellow stuff.

blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:35 am

Thanks Bec, I was in Bi-Lo the other day and decided to stop by the cleaning products aisle. I knew we couldn't get the Klear here but I was hoping that one of the other names would jump out at me. I did see the Pledge but wasn't certain so I didn't grab it. Thanks for the tip on the colour - I'll be sure to check ;)
mangozac

Previous

Return to Dr Polymer