[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Imperial Armour Model Masterclass
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Imperial Armour Model Masterclass

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Imperial Armour Model Masterclass

Postby mangozac » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:59 am

Hi guys I've got a quick question. I'm planning to build up and paint my own SAW kit in the coming months and for that purpose was thinking about picking up the FW Imperial Armour Model Masterclass book.

Has anybody got it?
Anybody recommend it?
Does it really tell you much that you couldn't otherwise find on the internet?

Comments appreciated.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Imperial Armour Model Masterclass

Postby Dragonforge » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:10 am

I have the book and it is excellent. Lots of great techniques done by one of the Worlds best Modelers.
The guy who wrote is one of the best.

You can find lots of information out there, for example the forum at the Mig Productions web site would be a great place to start. Some of the best armor modelers and painters in the world hand out there.
Dragonforge
User

Postby Barn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:16 am

i Have it, and would totally recommend it.

Im sure some of the styles and techniques used would undoubtedly be available online in some form. The quality of the book, the pictures etc make me go back to look at it all the time.

Volume 2 is due out this year apparently, and i cant wait to pre-order it :)

Fingolfin on WAU painted a superheavy following the book, here is a link to it:
Barn
User

Postby blind pig » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:30 am

Get it.

It is a great book and full of ideas and weird techniques.
blind pig
Junkie

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:06 am

Ive looked at it before and Im looking and asking around for a copy. If I can find it I could send it to you...

I'll send you a PM about it.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:14 am

Sounds like a resounding "yes" then! I did see Stu's (Fingolfin) thread on WAU and he did indeed get some nice results. He actually just lives 15 mins from me and we used to play each other!
mangozac

Postby geomod » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:34 am

I got the book when it came out.

It is a great resource for the community and covers a lot of techniqes that the non-wargaming community has known for a while.

A lot of the material is covered by mollelers such as Mig Jimenez in other books. The advantage is that this book uses GW models as the examples and the price point is not too different to modelling books covering the same info.

I recommend anyone who wants to strech their skills to get this book.

geomod (NB not getting a cent from GW for this plug :P )
Last edited by geomod on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
geomod
User

Postby Barn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:35 am

Give him a PM and go have a look at his till yours arrives then :P
Barn
User

Postby mangozac » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:00 am

Wow I'm really starting to feel like I'm missing out on something! I shall go order it tonight!
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:16 am

I'm using the FW Masterclass techniques to "paint" up my Speed Freaks army (yeah I know, I should post better pics for you all - shaddup!) :lol: .

I say "paint" as other than the red basecoat and a quick drybrush, there is *very* little painting done to the models. The detail is picked out using powders, isopropyllcohol, oil paint and floor varnish - yup, floor varnish.

I eagerly await FW Masterclass Volume II when it comes out!
blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:31 pm

OK it's ordered! How long does it usually take for standard postage from FW Bec?

Might have to go an invest in a dual action airbrush now - I don't think my single action one will cut it ;)
mangozac

Postby Barn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:03 pm

You took advantage of the 150 pounds free postage didnt you? Its ok, you can tell us what else you ordered :P

The 'slow post' orders i've done from FW have been all in within 10 days. I've only done an order over the magic 250 pounds express shipping mark once. I placed it at 11pm on a Thursday for us, had the delivery guy knocking on my door Tuesday morning :D
Barn
User

Postby mangozac » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:09 pm

I wanted to and I had a quick browse, but I decided that I wasn't going to complain about paying about 7 or 8 bucks in postage.....

Perhaps In the future if any of us Aussies are planning a FW purchase we can let the others know and do a group order? Gets worth while for more expensive items that are alone below the magic 150 pound mark...

10 day postage time sounds great - I'll be awaiting its arrival with great anticipation!
mangozac

Postby Barn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:23 pm

I'll be doing another order in April/May, or when im confident they have released all the Space Wolf stuff im interested in :P
Barn
User

Postby blind pig » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:04 am

Less than two weeks.
blind pig
Junkie

Next

Return to Dr Polymer