[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - How to make a bottle from resin?
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

How to make a bottle from resin?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

How to make a bottle from resin?

Postby jontidy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:41 pm

Good afternoon Junkies, I'm trying to make a shampoo dispenser bottle similar to the ones below that I bought. At first I thought it was just a glass bottle with a resin cast around it. But it appears that the whole thing has been cast with resin. It looks like the inner bottle is cast first, then embedments stuck to it, then the outer bottle is cast.
Anyone able to enlighten me as to how this is done, ( what types of moulds etc?)

Image.Image

Thanks Addicts.
jontidy
Casual

Re: How to make a bottle from resin?

Postby Munkey Joe » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:49 am

Im going to say..... Its plastic for the first bottle and crystal clear plastic for the second, using the process you described. Make one bottle, inset it with the rocks and shoot the second set. I assume these were commercially made and relative cheap?? If the answers are yes then thats probably how it was done, more likely than not in an Asian country. They seem to have very automated casting sets there and are able to do this at a very attractive price for the markets in US and Europe.

Now to recreate this effect?? Heres how I would do it. take bottle #1 (inner bottle) and fill with Water. Cap it so it will not spill. Apply your suspended artifacts (your stuff) with maybe hot glue or some other type of glue. Have a mold made of a bigger bottle (more likely than not a silicon mold made from a glass bottle as to have smooth sides) and suspend the #1 bottle to where it is not touching the sides of Bottle #2 mold and is at the right placement. place in a VACUUM chamber to degas the resin, mix clear resin and cast under Vacuum. this will get all of the bubbles out I think.

Watch for "pull marks" As thats what your dealing with already, and be prepared to poss sand the top due to bursting bubbles.

This is just my opinion and may or may not work.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:06 am

MJ has posted the exact same process I was going to suggest. There's really no other feasible way to create a hollow part in the style you want. You can do rotational casting but that will be no good for having the objects embedded in it.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby jontidy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Well...... At first I was thinking the same as you guys, Apart from the mass produced part. They were handmade by a guy in bangkok. The one in the second pic was made to order for a friend of mine (I just need to make a soap dish in the same pearlescent style for her).
I've studied the second one for quite a while and the best explanation I can come up with is the inner bottle (the first cast) is done in the same material as the second cast (outer bottle). You can see the pearlescent effect is in the neck of the bottle. It also looks like the neck was solid to start and was drilled by a large drill to make the opening. I read somewhere about "silicone plug moulds" where you could make, say a wine glass by having a wine glass shaped mould. half fill it with resin then put in a silicone "plug" in the shape of the inside of the glass. So you could cast the inside and outside of the wine glass in one cast. I was thinking maybe this was how the inner bottle was made, so it would look like an upside down glass (or a bottle with no bottom).
Then the second cast (the outer bottle) was made how you suggested, with the first cast suspended and not touching the sides or bottom. So the second cast not only produced the outer bottle, but also the bottom of the bottle, sealing the opening and making it a hollow container. I hope I explained that well enough.
So do you think that is feasable way to make it? Or should I just buy a glass bottle. Stick Embedments to it, and cast an outer bottle in whatever shape I design.
jontidy
Casual

Postby Munkey Joe » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:26 pm

Ok well forgive me if this seems brash....

Yes you CAN pour your own bottle with a plug mold. Your description of the process is perfect so I will not bore you with it. and after that its just affixing your embedds and pouring your clear....

so yes you can do it, but why would you? with the time your pouring your inner bottle, you could be pouring outers. therefor why re-invent the wheel and just pour the outer form and speed up your process, and make more money??
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby jontidy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:07 pm

Thanks MJ. Yes I think I will just use a pre-made bottle and cast around it if the plug mould technique is probably how its done. I just thought if the thai guy cast his own inner bottle then maybe there was some simpler way of doing it that i couldn't work out as I'm pretty new to casting and mould making.
jontidy
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer