[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - another question.... Grey knight armor
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

another question.... Grey knight armor

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

another question.... Grey knight armor

Postby Munkey Joe » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:01 am

OK so Im working on a HUGE list of things this year () and one of those projects is my exorcists Space marines ().

now my question..... Since im doing these true scale Im using termie bodies. Im wanting an EASY way to make the armor like GK termies. Very ornate with all the cool engravings on it. GW did an article in the early 2000's with a dread and showed how they did it but alas I cannot find it. anyone have ideas as to how to do this?? Here are some pictures of what i mean for those who might not be familiar with it.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Re: another question.... Grey knight armor

Postby mangozac » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:50 am

Looks like painful greenstuff work to me. Unless you could organise some brass etch, which would speed things up considerably. In fact that's the only way I'd do it - the idea of sculpting all of that tiny text is not pleasant :P
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Munkey Joe » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:35 am

agreed... The main idea of this is to have them "counts as" GK as Im going with the fluff that they are of the same geneseed (protect me if someone nerd-rages!!) I remember someone did a dread with it and i do remember that they use something to cut a trench and then placed a small amount of GS in it and then pressed in the sculpted letters...

the etched brass is an idea I am all about BUT i fear that it would look like armor with stuff on it VS ornate engraved armor..... but im still thinking its the way i will go.

any good companies make 28mm heroic scale etched brass latin phrases?? :mrgreen: Maybe some arched letters, some boxed text, and linear phrases....

Maybe I could google too..... :oops:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:47 am

Brush up on your Inkscape skills and I might be able to help you out when I get my brass etch underway....

The "channel" the text is placed in could be made using a modelling chisel, but it would be hard to get the curved shapes correct.
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:44 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:18 pm

The best bet for recreating this stuff would be with press molds. Get some of the instant mold and use it to copy the lettering off the GK model.

Another option would be to go to a hobby/craft store (hobby lobby) that carries stamp making kits and you could get rubber lettering to make text, use that along with some press molds and you have a fairly cheap way of making whatever text impressions you want. Then simply coat a shoulder pad or or piece of armor with greenstuff and rol it along the text line of the press mold.

That should give you a raised relief detail of the text without going through the madness of trying to do the text by hand or bending etched brass.
paulson games

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:22 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:29 am

mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:56 am

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Arkangel » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:09 am

:oops: Yeah got side tracked it's on my 'To-do' list of things to buy this week. I'll get back to you when it arrives and I've had a play. Also I have new moulds of 'Stuff' so watch out for more new posts of projects that take forever to complete!! :mrgreen:
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby Barn » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:29 pm

For the GW Dread, they used the thin edge of a file to file out the grooves, then filled them with greenstuff, and made the patterns.

I dont have the aritcle, but i actually did this on my original GK dread. When i first got back into 40k a couple years ago i painted over it to make it a RG dread, but maybe I can find it and clean it up a bit for some happy snaps :P
Barn
User

Return to Dr Polymer