[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Newbe with Pressure Chamber Questions.
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Newbe with Pressure Chamber Questions.

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Newbe with Pressure Chamber Questions.

Postby DENCON » Fri May 06, 2011 1:44 am

First, this is great to find a support forum for resin casting.
Just to let you know a little about me. I have been doing production resin casting model car parts and selling them for close to 16 years. Took a few brakes from it from time to time, but. I have been doing it as a full time job for the most part. I am not a hobbyist with resin casting. I first learned how to resin cast working for a prototype model workshop. I really want to get out of the model car stuff and get more into just using my trade for other things. I have a few things going on that are outside the model car hobby.

With me wanting to expand into bigger resin casting arenas. I have really needed to talk to an met others that are in the industry. It looks like I will be able to really learn a lot more about this industry from this forum. So I am very glad to have found this.

With what I have planned for the future for my little business. The first thing I need to move into on the equipment end is a bigger pressure chamber. But searching the internet, all I can find are the same old small 5 gallon converted paint pressure pots. I have 3 and they are all great. But I need more room. I remember back in the early 90's when I worked at the prototype model shop. We had a much larger pressure chamber that laid on it's side and hinged open. How perfect this would be for my use.

So what do you all use? What companies manufacture and sell these more industrial pressure chambers? I did find this. http://hapcoweb.com/x10_x60.htm
This chamber looks like it would be "The Goods". I have not been able to find a price and I am sure that it is up there. I would even be happy with something like this without the heater.
Anyways, looking forward to passing info with you all and maybe make some new friends in the industry.
Thanks
Matt Conte
Denson Scale Resin Specialties
www.denconresin.com
DENCON
Casual

Re: Newbe with Pressure Chamber Questions.

Postby Munkey Joe » Fri May 06, 2011 4:34 am

First off Welcome. Im new around too but I learned alot from here in my short time.

I looked about for prices and could not find BUT I did find contact info for Hapco:
Telephone
781-826-8801
Toll Free
877-729-4272
(SAY-HAPCO)
Fax
781-826-9544
Email
Info@hapcoweb.com
Website
www.hapcoweb.com
353 Circuit Street
Hanover
Massachusetts

You should be able to contact and request info. :ugeek:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby DENCON » Fri May 06, 2011 4:52 am

Thanks, I just got an e-mail from Hapco. It is $4.000. I figured that would be the price. It is really well worth it but a bit out of my price range at this time. I really like this pressure chamber. I like the idea with the heater. But I could use one without. it is too bad that they do not offer that pot without the heater. I just need something bigger that would be set up like that. I cannot believe that there are not that many companies that make something like this. I have seen them but I cannot find anywhere that sells or even makes these types of pressure chambers. That is why I would like to see what everyone else is using.
DENCON
Casual

Postby paulson games » Fri May 06, 2011 6:49 am

Habor freight sells smaller tanks. I've also seen larger tanks for sale on the alumillte forum. (I think they were manufactuered by Binks?) I've seen side loading units that are in the 10-15 gallon range, can't remember where off hand I'll dig aorund and see if I can find the links.

http://www.finishsystems.com/economypressurepots.html

Reynolds Materials (smooth-on distributor) sells 5 gallon tanks specifically for casting so no home made modifications needed.

http://www.reynoldsam.com/search.php?cx ... re+chamber

This site custom builds pressure chambers and other equipement

http://www.advanceddesignsolutions.com/prod05.htm
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby mangozac » Fri May 06, 2011 7:47 am

Hi Matt, welcome to RA! It sounds like you have an interesting background and you certainly add the the diversity of casting subjects we have here.

I'm pretty sure that everyone on here uses the standard modified 10L/5gal spray painting pot as their pressure chamber. Like you say, they're cheap and easy to get. The other option I can think of for a larger size is to contact a boilermaker and get them to make you up a custom job. While it would still be pricey I'd expect it to still be cheaper than the $4k one you linked to.

What is the main advantage of going to the bigger chamber? Are you planning to do much bigger parts? I would expect running multiple smaller chambers to be easier if it's volume (as in quantities) you're after. In fact it probably wouldn't be hard to add a hinge to your existing pots so that you can put them on their side and operate the lid as a door.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby DENCON » Fri May 06, 2011 8:30 am

I mainly want to go with a bigger tank because I want to larger items. I had to turn down a job because the mold would had been too big for my tank. It was something that needed to be pressure cast.
DENCON
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer