[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Next Issue... Resin Setting Time
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Next Issue... Resin Setting Time

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Next Issue... Resin Setting Time

Postby Jezlad » Wed May 18, 2011 4:19 am

Hi guys,

I now have some polyurethane resin and I've managed to eradicate every bubble. My bases now look pretty professional.

The problem I have though is the pouring time, I mix the two parts of the resin together and then start to pour. I only have 10 bases on my mould but by the time I've finished pouring number 4 or 5 the mix has started to go off already. Is there anyway to prolong the time you have to pour?

If the mix went of in say 20 minutes I'd have far better results.

So thats basically my only problem now... the mix sets pretty quickly and hinders the pouring process.
Jezlad
Casual

Re: Next Issue... Resin Setting Time

Postby mangozac » Wed May 18, 2011 6:36 am

The pot life (or time it takes to start setting) is a characteristic of the actual resin product you're using. Different products will specify different pot life over a whole range from 1 to 10 minutes, but generally the longer pot life also means a longer curing time.

So the simple answer is no, you will have to change to another resin product.

You could get a little more time by putting the resin in the fridge so that it's cold when you mix it (I have done that before in Summer).
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Jezlad » Wed May 18, 2011 8:43 am

Awesome, thanks for the tip mate.

:)
Jezlad
Casual

Postby paulson games » Wed May 18, 2011 5:01 pm

If you are using a one to one ratio mix you can reduce the amount of catalyst you are using which will slow the resin's cure time a bit. (the catalyst is usually the b-side material) It's not the most accurate way but it might prove useful. If you cut it down by about 25% it should still allow the resin to cure properly but do so at a slower rate. You'll likely need to experiment to get the right ratio. It's probably easiest to buy a slower curing version, but this might work if you don't want to waste any of the stuff you currently have on hand.

Also as Zac mentioned if you let it cool down in the fridge it will lengthen the curing time considerably. Most hobby resin is formulated to set at a temp or 70-80 degrees and if you cool it down to 50-60 degrees then it should just about double the working time (and curing time) It will take a lot longer to cast parts this way but it should help. Also make sure not to freeze the resin.
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Lane » Wed May 18, 2011 8:58 pm

Lane
Habit

Return to Dr Polymer