[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Ultrasonic cleaners for release agent removal
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Ultrasonic cleaners for release agent removal

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Ultrasonic cleaners for release agent removal

Postby Hiflt4@juno.com » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:43 am

Hey Hey....

I have been considering buying a large ultrasonic cleaner for removing the release agent off my casts.

But has anyone cinsidered useing it to clean the molds them selves? I currently clean them is a toothbrush and silicon oil them after so many casts and then bake it and wash it agian. But the process is takes a ton of time.

I havent been able to find any info on cleaning molds with an ultrasonic besides metal ones. Was wondering if anyone had any imput.

Im looking at http://www.ebay.com/itm/ProSonik-12L-In ... 4ab2c09b60

Any experience with the prosonik brand?
Hiflt4@juno.com
Casual

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners for release agent removal

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:12 pm

I've never even used an ultrasonic cleaner for anything! I must admit I really don't know much about the process. You talk about baking with silicone oil to improve mould life - what type of silicone are you using (addition or condensation cure)?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby blind pig » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:40 pm

I can tell you about using ultrasonic cleaners to clean mineral specimens, but not moulds.....
blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:39 am

Perhaps pick up a smaller, cheaper cleaner and try it out on a small mould first. Like AH said in the other thread though; at some point it becomes cheaper to just make another mould rather than continually muck around baking and oiling. And if you use fast, simple moulding techniques like split mould the cost-benefit point becomes even lower.
mangozac

Postby BlackCatStudios » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:36 pm

I use an old Tattoo equipment ultrasonic cleaner along with SuperClean (degreaser) to strip paint off of used minis and prep new resin that I get from FW.

link to my blog post about it.

I have never considered it for mold cleaning, but I highly recommend it if you need to clean up old minis. Look for a used one and save money. You don't need a fresh new one for medical grade sterilization in our hobby.
BlackCatStudios
Casual

Postby Hiflt4@juno.com » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:12 pm

Hiflt4@juno.com
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Perhaps our American friends can make some comments about this?
mangozac

Return to Dr Polymer