[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - New to vacuum pressure casting - check list
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

New to vacuum pressure casting - check list

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: New to vacuum pressure casting - check list

Postby smtk » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:57 am

I'll try and grab some photos tomorrow of everything.
Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby Deadmeat30 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:20 am

congrats smtk, its always great to see your results! and its even better when a new method works even better than the last. 2 part moulds are just rubbish, split moulds all the way!! You'll now be an addict with casting things now!

Welcome to the casting club ;)

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:55 am

YAY! Well done!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby smtk » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:16 pm

Degassing - 12mm polycarbonate lid 10l pressure pot
Squirrel mixer (made very light work of thoroughly mixing even a litre of rtv)
My bench with the moulds, scales etc

I also found a fits inside the pressure pot perfectly making a nice 2 tier flat base with the lid turned upside-down and a few holes drilled in it for air flow.

Here's the model (some resin dye is on my shopping list). Its missing the rear torso, right arm and gun barrels. Then I need to fill, sand, drill, pin the main sections together

Should look like this when its done
Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby Deadmeat30 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:17 pm

That's looking fantastic! Congrats with it all. Looks like you have a good little set up running there.

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:30 pm

Love it!

It might just be the white resin hiding details but the cast parts seem a little bland. Is there much detailing left to do to them?

I especially enjoyed the workshop pics - you have a nice setup! Judging from a few of the parts laying around and the Zaino product on the shelf I guess you're a car enthusiast too?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby smtk » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:03 pm

Most of the detail is on the top/side of the parts but the white masking it. I'll use some plastic card to add more details (I left some details to be able to mirror parts or because they fell on a casting line) and some etching. It'll bristle with guns barrels too so I don't want to make it too busy. The rest is down to paint and adding battle damage.

On another note I finally got a sample from a laser cutting company. So I'm just polishing the vector drawings of the next mechs ready to have all my parts laser cut for the first time. The great thing about that is I can add all the etching on the panels.
Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby Anvils Hammer » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:24 pm

awesome sauce! :mrgreen:

I love how we are universally working from bedrooms/garages and sticking it to the "professional" casting companies

Congrats on your success, using plastic cups as mold boxs is somthing id not thought of, would tend to waste rubber but for some parts it would work well..

Tip-

stick your master to a rod and stick it into a lump of plastcine shaped like a pour channel, saves a lot of hassel!

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby smtk » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:45 am

Osiris Build continued here;
Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:21 am

Workshops are so pretty <3~~
*wants a garage*
Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby mangozac » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:12 pm

mangozac

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:59 am

Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby mangozac » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:24 am

I just meant for guys (or at least for me anyway) it's cool when a girl appreciate garages, tools, model making and stuff ;)
mangozac

Postby Magnetic Duckling » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:55 am

Tools... dremels... <3~
I like video games too \o/
And am totally offtopic...
Magnetic Duckling
User

Postby paulson games » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:02 am

I'm glad you gave it another try. The cast looks great. I imagine it feels much better now to have something successfully cast. :)

Can't wait to see more of your battletech stuff.
paulson games

Previous

Return to Dr Polymer