[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Resins and silicones
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Resins and silicones

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Resins and silicones

Postby Deadmeat30 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:19 am

Hey everyone,

Im interested in what everyone uses for there silicone and resins around the world, kind of like a mini data base of good supplies.

I know that forge world use smooth-on 65D for there castings.

whats everyone else got for there castings?
Last edited by Deadmeat30 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deadmeat30
Habit

Re: Resins and silicones

Postby geomod » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:59 am

Great idea.

I use Pinkysil for my moulds and 4PU resin for casting.

I get both of these from Adelaide Moulding and Casting, but they are available from Barnes in Sydney for those of us in the antipodes.

:o

Geomod
Last edited by geomod on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geomod
User

Postby mangozac » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:08 am

'Tis a good idea, and something that has kind of been discussed before but kind of died. It would indeed be very useful to combine it all into a single thread reviewing all of the supplies.

I too am a Pinkysil/4PU man (as I suspect most of us Aussies are!), however lately it's proving a pain to get the 4PU in the 2kg kit size :(
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby blind pig » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:46 am

blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:12 pm

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Anvils Hammer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Same problem.. I Use 2kg kits, the 10kg kit is 30% cheaper but at the moment I cant use it all up, soon though.. soon!!

I have a 20KG tub of Rohdorsil RTV 3325 sitting under my desk, got it for an awesome price, from Bently Advanced Materials in the UK.

My main resin is G27 LV, with G26 hardener, from John Burn Ltd in the UK, again its a great quality allround resin and is very good value! 3 minute pot life and 25 minute cure.

Ive tried FC10 and found the pot life great but the corresponding demold time a pain in the ass, also it was slightly translucent?

Im still looking for the perfect resin for vacuum casting.. One I tried recently had awesome properties under vacuum- much less bubbling and no air bubbles at all in the finnished part, but the finnished parts came out slightly translucent and oily, not good at all..

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby geomod » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:18 pm

A small addition to the thread.

I have begun using Easycast Clear Epoxy for transparent vaccum casting. Again, from Adelaide Moulding and Casting.

It is slightly yellow and is a bit fiddly to mix with respect to working temperatures etc.

That being said, it self-degasses and is VERY slow setting (1-3 days). As a hobbyist, that is fine for me as it gives me plenty of time to ensure that there are no bubbles in the mould.

Cheers,

Geomod
geomod
User

Postby Deadmeat30 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:45 pm

Yeah the demould time can be a bugger, but thats where my hotbox comes in (well its a portable fridge with cool and heat features) This reduces the post curing amount, and means i can pull the mould early on.

So far its the best resin i have found, there flex in the castings is excellent, and the viscosity is bar none. price is a little more than john burns stuff, but im happy to pay it.

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby blind pig » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:09 am

blind pig
Junkie

Postby geomod » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:36 am

Hi Blind Pig,

I'm using Pinkysil with Easy Cast, and haven't had an issue so far. :oops:

That being said, I obviously have to go to Bunnings and have a look around. :P

Cheers,

Geomod
geomod
User

Postby blind pig » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:03 am

Pinky is cool with EasyCast Clear.

It is the Tin catalyst Condensation Cures Silicones like Ultrasil that bugger up Clear Polyurethanes. Here is a pic of what happens to Easycast Clear + Ultrasil:

The thing I like with the Clear Coat is that it is quick to cure and pretty good a degassing. It is an epoxy.
blind pig
Junkie

Return to Dr Polymer