[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - UK materials cost comparison sheet
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

UK materials cost comparison sheet

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

UK materials cost comparison sheet

Postby Fleafa » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:07 am

Attachments
material_costs-PU.pdf
Material Costs - Polyurethane
(76.92 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
material_costs-RTV.pdf
Material Costs - Silicone
(76.92 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
Last edited by Fleafa on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fleafa
Junkie

Re: UK materials cost comparison sheet

Postby mangozac » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:05 am

Thanks Fleafa, this will no doubt be handy for our other UK members!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Anvils Hammer » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:19 am

Every single product I have ordered from TOMPS, including their fast cast resin and a couple of different silcones, have totally failed to meet my expectations. I will never order products from TOMPS again.

Their sales pitch is highly misleading They advertise "150+ pulls" from their viscolo rubbers, I got 25, they claim their "value" silicone range doesnt compromise on quality.. I got about 15 good pulls..

Their fast cast I tried came in massive unwieldy thin metal tins, and also separated out something awefull.. Not a bad resin.. but there are cheaper and better alternatives..

John Burn is my current resin supplier-

G27 LV+G26 hardener is £20 per 2KG, or £67 per 10KG kit EX VAT

I purchased a test kit of the Alchemie 364 through CFS, horrific odour and it cures with a slightly translucent finnish, also cures far to quickly. NOT RECOMMENDED.

I will sort the details for my other suppliers.

This is a great Idea Fleafa! May I suggest a simplified version with a bit less information might a good idea at some point, Ill be happy to help assemble, It will be good to get all the prices in one place, then we can start a price war!!

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby jontidy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:17 pm

I'm living in Thailand and often wondered if I returned to england would I still be able to make money selling my resin delights. Looking at these prices it's got to be a huge NO. I cant understand the huge prices in not just england but everywhere around the world that I've looked at.
At the moment I pay 85 baht (Thats £1.77) a kilo for the good resin, and 400 baht (£8.30) for a good addition cured silicone. the silicone is even imported!
jontidy
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Wow that is indeed cheap! I'm guessing the difference is in the ingredients and how people friendly they are. Remember there's lots of restrictions on that sort of stuff in the first world (even though it may be manufactured here - first world countries are quite happy to sell noxious stuff to second and third world countries :().

Hey Jon I'm hoping to come back to Phuket around mid year and if so will definitely have to come and say hi!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby jontidy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:46 pm

Yeah definately pop in and say hi. I'm sure you can give me a few pointers and tips on the process's and problems I'm having.
jontidy
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:25 am

Maybe you should start a business exporting it to us! :D

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Fleafa » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:07 am

Updated :)

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Jynxia » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:41 pm

This is very useful! Thanks for putting this up, it ought to be a sticky.
Sorry to hear that TOMPs wasnt great. Lucky you mentioned it because I was about to try it out for a cheap solution. :s
Tried Tirantis(T-28) and Smooth On (mould max 40) so far. No complaints apart from the T-28 is a little weaker and looks like it wont take too much pulling about. This is costly for a hobby though or maybe I'm just making my Lego moulds too big...
Jynxia
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer