[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - newbie seeking help on what to get for 2 part mold UK
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

newbie seeking help on what to get for 2 part mold UK

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

newbie seeking help on what to get for 2 part mold UK

Postby the_xander » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:33 pm

Hello there all!
I have been looking over the internet for a while looking to start getting into casting my custom heads / bodies for my Empire GW force. I want to do this through a 2 part mold as some of the parts are really detailed. through this site I have come across these, and want to know if they would be suitable for making 2 part molds:
rubber; http://www.modelshop.co.uk/product/TinS ... kg_CL10065
resin; http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/CFS_Ca ... n_246.html
are these ok or should I use different products? are there cheaper suitable alternatives? As the title says, UK based suppliers please - one place wanted 60 dollars shipping for a 45 dollar order...

I just tried with the Alumite mini casting kit (http://www.nigellawton009.com/MiniCastingKit.html) and it seemed to be going well, but the mold release that I tried to use (vaselene in rubbing alcohol, advised by someone somewhere) did not work, to obvious heartbreaking results. this kit also seemed horrendously over priced for what you actually get.
what mold release should I use?

any help that anyone could give me would be ace, and very well recieved.
thanks in advance,
Xander
the_xander
Casual

Re: newbie seeking help on what to get for 2 part mold UK

Postby Fleafa » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:11 am

The CFS fastcast is fine for a beginner,if a little fast, and is as cheap as you'll find. I know Anvils Hammer has issues with the finish, I think it's OK for the money.
Tbh I'd get the rubber from CFS at the same time (its in the craft section).

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Anvils Hammer » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:39 am

Not just the finnish.. the odour is also horrific, and it cures really fast.. not what I would recommend for a beginner. that said it is very cheap, but with shipping it will be £30, I know because I bought it..

the rubber you linked to, and this-

http://www.modelshop.co.uk/product/Easy ... kg_CR20032

will probs do the job, ive not personally tried that resin, but it will almost certainly work out cheaper buying both from one place, and Id reccomend 4D models over CFS

do you have any pressure casting equipment? Im guessing not.. thats not nessecarily a problem but it will require carefull mold design.

Are the parts you are casting all your own work? If they are then it makes it much easier to advise you with a clear conscience :p

Out of interest, are you doing this because you want to learn to cast, or because you want to cast these empire bits as a one off project?

Cheers,

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:53 am

Actually, a slower resin would be better, especially without pressure equipment.
As far as odour goes, I don't find it bad at all. I'm guessing you've never worked with polyester resin!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:50 pm

Smooth-ON has a pair UK distributors. I use their stuff and it works great, although I don't know how pricey it is in the UK. I'd go with their smooth cast 305 set to start with, works ten times better than that foul smelling crap that Allumite makes.

(I also had a total failure on my first casting experiment with their kit, their resin is horribly thick and smelly)

United Kingdom
Bentley Advanced Materials
Frederick Road
Hoo Farm Indust. Estate
Kidderminster, Worcestershire DY11 7RA
England
Tel: 011-44-1562-515121
Fax: 011-44-1562-515847
info@benam.co.uk
http://www.benam.co.uk/

Bentley Advanced Materials
Marshall's Yard
Trout Road
West Drayton
London
UB7 7RS
Tel - 01562 515 121
Fax - 01562 515 847
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby the_xander » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:15 am

Gentlemen(/women), blummin good of you all. The alumite rubber seemed to work ok - seemed to replicate detail well, but never got to the crucial casting stage to know how it goes :(
slower seems better, I aint bothered by casting times, can just do a set each evening and maintaining detail with fewer air bubbles is the main intention I guess.
yeah the parts are mine - things like torsos and hats which I then model onto (or replace) gw parts.
I havent looked into pressure casting yet - seemed like another scary step when I havent even worked this one out! how easy is it to set up?
will see how much benham can sell me the smooth on stuff for. how many molds and casts can you make from the kit? the alumite one was insulting; one mold and seemingly about 10 casts for 33 quid....
the_xander
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:04 am

If you have a compressor then getting setup for pressure is easy. Actually, even if you don't have one it's easy but you would just have to buy one :P

Check it out:
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to Dr Polymer