[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - New Addicts here for treatment
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

New Addicts here for treatment

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: New Addicts here for treatment

Postby mangozac » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:32 pm

I have no idea why you're getting such thick flash. Perhaps too much clamping force? It looks to be up to 1mm thick in some spots? The flash I usually get due to my release spray getting between the non-cavity surfaces of the mould is thin enough that it will scrape off, but this stuff requires major surgery! I can't imagine why it would be the shaker table...

You're correct in your inference about the b-pour getting between the part and the a-pour to cause those marks. This is half of the reason why we say to make sure that the parts are not dislodged from the a-half before the b-half is poured!

I don't think you'll be able to cast the hands without a little channel to each finger.They really aren't going to be easy. The hair I'm really concerned about. I can't think of any way it will be able to be done at room pressure so I think you're going to just have to experiment. You're really pushing the limits here.

Micro-bubbles are something we all forgot to mention. That's the biggest downside to room pressure casting. You're going to have to use a putty/filler and then sand it all smooth. Without using pressure and/or vacuum there is absolutely nothing that I know of you can do about them. Unfortunately I think we've come back to my initial comments at the start of this thread: you need at the very least to use pressure casting.

All these ideas about hacking up pressure vessels and hand pumps aren't worth the effort. Hand vacuum pumps are useless as you need to reach quite a significant vacuum to have the desired effect. Those pressure vessels aren't designed for continual opening and sealing and could actually end up being quite dangerous. If you're serious about casting (particularly these complicated pieces) then you need to buy a proper pressure pot and compressor. There is no other way. Keep searching around Europe for one a the right price. I've said it many times: anything but very basic casting should only be pursued if you have the time and money to invest in it.

Sorry to end the post on a negative note like that. :(
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Munkey Joe » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:47 am

Vacuum keeps getting mentioned, but for what you're trying to do here just pressure is going to take you 90% of the way to getting great casts. Pressure is much cheaper to get started with than vacuum and that's why I keep recommending that. Plus you can't to vacuum without pressure too.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Previous

Return to Dr Polymer