ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

I'm a cheapskate - silicone from china?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

I'm a cheapskate - silicone from china?

Postby NebuK » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:04 am

Heyyas,

as i'm a very very bad cheapskate (i'm from the region in germany ("schwaben") known to be very very penny-pinching, like scots for those in england...) i've been looking for cheaper sources of RTV silicone since i started planning to start casting...

So as my girlfriend (who's half chinese but doesn't speak it well...) started browsing taobao, a chinese ebay equivalent today i've got the idea "mhhh, how cheap are THEY going to be". And BAM! F***ing 25 Dollars for F***ing 5 KILOGRAMS! YES KILOGRAMS!

I must say that i'm quite suprised - even though i don't know the quality, technical data (yet) i wouldn't have expected it SO cheap. Now i know how all these chinese recasting factories can reach so low prices... Problem's just the shipping. China-Post rates (as opposed to all those governmentally sponsored free-shipping-shops) are quite high - as high as 70$ for 5kg (to germany). The price is still right, but you start to get curious if its the right thing... for this price you don't just try (or, at least me).

So here'd be my question: Has anybody ever thought of this and/or even tried it? Do you know some chinese shop selling silicone for the same prices with affordable shipping? With attributes that work for what we do?

If not i think i'd be so eager to try to find some seller who could maybe send me a sample or the likes? Anyways, i'm quite excited about this ;P.

Regards
- NebuK
NebuK
Casual

Re: I'm a cheapskate - silicone from china?

Postby mangozac » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:33 am

Even with postage that is extremely cheap! Personally I wouldn't bother with it, but for that price it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it out. Be careful though as it's possible that there's restrictions on importing stuff like that if it doesn't meet environmental requirements you guys get to crazy about in the EU!

Let us know when you find out the specs on it ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: I'm a cheapskate - silicone from china?

Postby paulson games » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:59 pm

After all the issues with chemically tainted products coming out of China I now assume that everything they make is toxic, made from ground up babies, or both.

On a serious note a number of silicone products are carcinogenic, I'd have an actual concern with using their stuff as so many of their products use the cheapest material available and often have serious quality control issues and use comonents that aren't safe by the standards of other countries.

Going with the bottom dollar product means you are getting stuff that isn't going to hold up the same. That why I'd stay away from it.
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Return to Dr Polymer