[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Making Sci-Fi Helmets (Advice Needed!)
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Making Sci-Fi Helmets (Advice Needed!)

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Making Sci-Fi Helmets (Advice Needed!)

Postby Wolfs16 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:53 pm

So in my Tau project log, mangozac made a comment that I should try and sculpt my own helmets. I am intrigued by this idea! However, I have NO idea where to begin. So I ask, what are the first steps to creating some Sci-Fi helmets that would fit the 40K range?

Obviously, a concpet is important. Since I am traveling right now, I can't get to my computer, but I wanted to create a helmet that looked similar to the ones worn by the Elite Combine soldiers in Half-Life 2. They were the guys in all white with the big red eye. Do you guys know what I'm talking about?

EDIT: Found some pictures...

So, what tips do you guys have for me?

Wolfs16
Casual

Re: Making Sci-Fi Helmets (Advice Needed!)

Postby Warhound » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:38 pm

I am sorry to say Wolfy, that this is not an easy question to answer:-(

"How to Sculpt a helmet?"

1: Is this for a one off- or for casting?
This answer will help massively, as if it is a one off, then you can base the 'structure' of an existing model/ object. In this instance, I would be looking for an appropriately sized head or alternative, with which to adapt/ cut down/ resculpt over.
If it is for casting, then depending on the quantity you want you can go with the above approach, but I believe our 'line' on this is that if adapted from an existing model, then no more than 10 cast for private use will keep you away from legal snipers. If it is more that is needed, then scratch built is the only way.
2: Next, I would source inspiration images (always with the research!) with which to base an idea on- or sketch one out. Your images will suffice for this purpose as they give a good idea of the 360 view.
3: Then- is there any details that I can take from another model and incorporate here- for example, the main eye piece, the 'ear' baubles. In your shoes, I would be thinking that I can take the lense from almost any kit such as the marine devastator sergeant back pack, slice off and stick on the front of an empire halberdsman helmet. The baubles could be taken of a templar censer hanger...? Always be thinking of parts that can be cannibalised.. GW actually make this process very easy as much of their design is of an archtype- ie 'big statements' that reverberate around their races. Hence Jes's work (marines and tau) have strong visual keys, eldar, elves and necrons have similar line etc.
4: Sorry, but, you have procrastinated enough now... get the putty out!! :lol: Regardless of whether you use S, SS, GS or MP (see the sculpting lexicon), get your dentist tools and clay shapers out and start pushing it about. Without going into specific sculpting tips here, it is just a case of play and practise. You will learn resistances, tackyness and how well the putty carves, sands and cuts (OR NOT!) when cured. Only when we see how you have got on with your first attempt can we assess your individual needs with this very deep- topic!

I really like the design of this, and so very much look forward to seeing how you get on!

I hope that this helps?
cheers
W
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby mangozac » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:09 pm

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby CMDante » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:51 am

Warhound and mangozac have covered most of the key issues here so I won't re-tread old ground, just wanted to add that, if your worried about legal sniping but want to use a 28mm sized head as a base, hasslefree make some dolly heads that you can recast without IP issues and could therefore be used as a base.

Looking at reference photo's of both medieval and modern warfare helmets would also be a sensible thing to do since it will help you see some of the design issues for creating headgear for humans.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your progress!

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
Casual

Postby mangozac » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:36 am

OH I did not realise that you could cast the Hasslefree heads. Just looking now and they also have a perfect looking 28mm dolly! That's it I'm ordering some today for a little sculpting contest Warhound and I are having!
mangozac

Postby Wolfs16 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:31 pm

These are some fantastic suggestions guys! I'm a little tied up at the moment, but I have to thank everyone for their input. I'll edit this with a proper reply later. :D

Wolfs16
Casual

Postby CMDante » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:50 pm

I bought some of those dollies a while back, they are "true" 28mm which is actually quite a bit smaller than traditional GW stuff. Will post some comparison shots later.

CMDante
Casual

Postby Warhound » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:16 pm

I have to concur that these dollies are great- but also greatly undersized. While the proportions themselves are out of kilter with GW ones, the actual scale is some 15% lower than what GW ones are!

I would not waste the shipping for your/ our purposes:-(

The nearest/ best equivalant are in the resource centre (has anyone checked in there yet?;-)
http://www.ebobminiatures.com/products/tools.htm- skeletons
OR
http://shop.masq-mini.de/index.php?cat= ... f84d4033a3

Either of these would be better options (seriously Zac- I told you that I had not left a stone unturned- its all in our back yard :lol: )

Sorry dude... now stop being lazy and build that figure from the ground up!;-)

hehehehe

cheers
WARHOUND
Warhound

Postby CMDante » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:18 pm

The coolminiornot.com store has a selection of dollies and armatures on it, might be worth a look. I know JRN has made some dollies of his own that look good, right scale and flexible. Trying to convince him to make some for sale!:)

CMDante
Casual

Postby Wolfs16 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:33 pm

Warhound & mangozac:[b]
I'd like to focus on making this a one off for now, since it would be my first true sculpt. But hey, if it turns out good then maybe I'll consider it!

As for bitz I can use, I gotta check the 'ol bitz box when I get back. As
for the Koto sprue's, does anyone know a sprue that would fit such a small thing like a helmet?

CMDante:
Your sculpting tutorial is great and really helps! Those dollies you mentioned look nice, but I don't know if I'm going to use them. Do you have any suggestions for sculpting pieces of equipment like armor? I'm familiar with organic sculpts, but I find it difficult to create hard shapes.

I guess I just gotta get crackin'! Why do good ideas always come when you're not able to work on anything! :x

Wolfs16
Casual

Postby mangozac » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:16 pm

Well I did order the Hasslefree Armatures this afternoon but seeing as I hadn't paid yet, after reading Dante and Warhound's posts I just emailed them to cancel the order.

I also started looking for clay shapers. Will check out a place that might have them early next week but otherwise will have to order online.

As for koto sprues, I would recommend P-114 by itself for this project. You can see it and actual dimensions of the parts . Additionally you can't go wrong with P-101 and P-102 either.

Or the bitz box works ;)

Oh and for sculpting armour I'm told that GS mixed with milliput or magic sculpt is great (try 1:1 mix to start with). I tried the former the other day and it seemed pretty good.
mangozac

Postby Warhound » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:20 pm

Warhound

Postby CMDante » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:54 am

For hard edged surfaces I'm a fan of milliput, Brown Stuff (BS), or a milliput - kneadite (GS and BS are kneadite) mix. Basically because these putties and mixes lend themselves better to post cure carving and sanding.

Milliput - Can be a pain to sculpt with due to being a bit crumbly and fragile while in it's workable time frame. Once cured can be sanded, filed and carved to shape as it is very rigid and firm. For sculpting most surfaces though it is best mixed with another putty (usually kneadite).

Brown Stuff (Kneadite Aluminium putty (I believe?)) - Much like GS when "wet", it has a chewing gum-like consistency. A bit firmer than GS though meaning it is better for forming hard edges. Once dry, is far more receptive to cutting, sanding and filing than GS is.

Green Stuff/Brown Stuff - Milliput Mix - Best (and worst?!) of both worlds. It has Milliput's "water soluble" qualities depending on the mix, making it good for smoothing into other surfaces. Easy to sand and file once dry, but not quite as easy as Milliput on it's own. Downside is it can be a little difficult to work when wet due to being very soft.

Personally I haven't done much armour and machinery sculpting so Mark will have much more, and better advice than I ever will.

I reckon creating the base for the piece using whatever putty you are most comfortable with and commonly use (GS for me), and then adding a final detail layer over the top using milliput or BS should work well. The detail layer will be far easier to refine the shape of through sanding and cutting than GS is on it's own.

CMDante
Casual

Postby Warhound » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:56 pm

Did anyone get around to bashing one of these out over the weekend?

I will have a go this week!

cheers
WARHOUND
Warhound

Postby mangozac » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:53 am

Not yet - hoping to do some sculpting tonight but I just realised that even if I do I have no camera with me :roll:
mangozac

Return to Dr Polymer