[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Specific issue sanding clear cast resin
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Specific issue sanding clear cast resin

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Specific issue sanding clear cast resin

Postby poorusher » Mon May 07, 2012 3:53 am

Hello

This is my first post, so hopefully I won't get my head bitten off (I did trawl the forums to see if this problem had been reported).

I have just started out embedding objects in resin. All my stuff so far has been rectangular or cubic, I use metal cake tins. Very happy with the moulds.

Each side is waxed before any resin is poured. The issue I am having is that the five sides that were waxed seem to sand fine, but the exposed surface layer appears to be clogging up my sander (using a random orbit sander).

Is there a way of preparing this surface before sanding? I do have an angle grinder for rougher treatment but would rather avoid using that if possible.

Hopefully someone on here can give me some pearls of wisdom.

Thanks
Luke
poorusher
Casual

Re: Specific issue sanding clear cast resin

Postby mangozac » Mon May 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi Luke, welcome to RA!

We try to refrain from biting off heads around here - I personally find them a bit bony ;)

Interesting problem you're having. Is the upper surface a very obviously different finish compared to the others prior to sanding? I would expect it to have a few bubbles and the like on it. It's not particularly gooey (as if there's an uncured layer or something) is it?

What grit count have you gone down to with the orbital sander?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby poorusher » Wed May 09, 2012 11:40 pm

Hola

Thank you for the reply.

I've actually spoken to some friends who make resin kitchen units. Their recommendations:

Post cure: put the resin in an oven at low temperature to harden.
Pre-cure: Apply talculm powder to surface layer.
Pre-cure: Apply wax in styrene to final poured layer.

The latter two methods stop air coming into contact with the top layer.

I have yet to test them.

Someone also recommended wet sanding.

For info, when I have sanded a piece and this has not been an issue, I use:

40, 120, 240, 400 and 600 grits.

The clogging was happening with the 40 grit.

The issue I face is how to sort the existing post-cured resin pieces. I can apply the other fixes next time I come to pour.

Hopefully this will work in the future, and this post will be of use to someone

:)
poorusher
Casual

Postby Fleafa » Thu May 10, 2012 8:52 pm

If you are using polyester clear resin then this is a common problem. The addition of wax in styrene solution should solve it. Failing that, you could pour some rubber as a flat sheet, maybe reinforced with plasticard/hardboard, and place that on top of the open part of the mould once the polyester is poured.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri May 11, 2012 7:15 am

mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Fri May 11, 2012 7:19 am

Clear casting resin has been engineered so that each time the resin cures it leaves a tacky surface for the next layer to be applied.
Preventing air coming in to contact with it as it cures will stop this.
Last edited by Fleafa on Fri May 11, 2012 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri May 11, 2012 7:19 am

Aha that makes sense!
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Fri May 11, 2012 8:05 am

I never knew that either.... I learn something new EVERY DAY...... Awesome! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby poorusher » Fri May 11, 2012 5:39 pm

Yes I am using Clear Casting Polyester Resin, thank you for this, it's good to have it confirmed.

Luke
poorusher
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer