[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Total noob question-How to change scale from template model?
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Total noob question-How to change scale from template model?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Total noob question-How to change scale from template model?

Postby Blackpool » Wed May 09, 2012 1:16 pm

I am totally new to these forums. I was drawn here by looking at some cool models that one of the members created.

I happen to collect models in 1 200 scale. I was wondering if there's a way to adjust the scale proportionately to 1 200 scale, say from 1 144 scale? Meaning if I had a source model I was casting models from in 1 144 scale, could I somehow create it in 1 200 scale?

Sorry for a stupid question if it is one, I just don't know much about this stuff but am totally excited about it.

Thanks.
Blackpool
Casual

Re: Total noob question-How to change scale from template mo

Postby Anvils Hammer » Wed May 09, 2012 8:13 pm

hey, welcome to the forum,

are you talking about a 3D CAD model? or a paper template? or a physical model?

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby Blackpool » Wed May 09, 2012 11:34 pm

Hi, physical model. Thanks.
Blackpool
Casual

Postby Munkey Joe » Thu May 10, 2012 6:26 am

Im not sure how involved it would be but POSS scan the model and then adjust measurements manual..... Either old fashion literal via pixel count OR By taking a picture and changing in photoshop. then using that "template" sculpt up you smaller or larger model in scale.

Other than that I guys get a 3D scan, And digitize it for adjustments, then print out on a 3D printer..... but not sure what your budget is for that!!!
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Thu May 10, 2012 6:28 am

There's not really a way that you can change the scale like that. The molds will only create stuff that's the size of the original part.

They do make a product that you can soak a mold in that'll cause the silicone to swell and increase is size, upwards to about 30%. But it's not very reliable and if the mold isn't soaked evenly it can cause it to distort and end up screwing up the detail.

Based on what I've read I wouldn't try it on anything other than a single sided mold, if you are doing a two part mold the halves can end up growing at differant rates which would prevent them from pairing up correctly.

Practical answer is no, rescaling a mold can't be done.

Long complicated answer is yes, you can enlarge a mold but it's very tough and likely impossible to get it to enlarge properly to an exact scale.

If you want to re-scale a model you're probably going to have to build a larger copy from scratch or have it digitally scanned and printed out. (big money)
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Blackpool » Thu May 10, 2012 10:32 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess that answers that.

Paulson Games, it was actually your Robotech thread that got me over to this site. I am awaiting the development of your product anxiously.

I am a 1 200 Robotech guy. The main thing is I want all the mecha.

Should you secure the license to make them (all), I could see myself making purchases. I just want them all so I can wargame with them :)
Blackpool
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer