[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Can some one name of this type of Joint?
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Can some one name of this type of Joint?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Can some one name of this type of Joint?

Postby smtk » Fri May 11, 2012 4:37 am

Is any one able to tell me the name of this type of Joint? This one is taken from an old resin kit I had and and I've shaped into a 26mm Barrel

I'm hoping I can find a smaller metal version available. I'm worried that my master will get locked in the mould if the joint cavity is deep and I'll be using 3 of them (2 for the arms and 1 for the torso)

I'm guessing I'm not going to get away with a split mould either.
Build Blog
smtk
User

Re: Can some one name of this type of Joint?

Postby mangozac » Fri May 11, 2012 7:22 am

At first I thought it might be a Polycap, but then when I saw how it works I realised it's not.

So you you want to purchase them and use on your cast parts or use them on the masters and then cast the copies with the joints. As you said, casting those kind of recesses won't be easy. And even if you do, that inner lip is going to wear out the mould pretty quickly.

Is this purely just for poseability?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby smtk » Sun May 13, 2012 12:28 am

Its a large model (30cm) the ability to remove the arms and separate the torso from the legs is convenient while allowing the torso and arms to rotate is great.

I think your right about the mould dieing after a few pulls. So I'm just going to add locator buttons then add the joints to the model post cast. I think this is also the safest route for the master too I didn't fancy cutting a 26mm hole on 35mm plastic/plaster/milliput structure!
Build Blog
smtk
User

Postby paulson games » Sun May 13, 2012 5:38 pm

If you don't mind gluing pieces together i'm sure you could cut one of those joint in half mold each as a seperate part and cast them, that way there's no center plug tearing.

A it looks like they are just going to be inserted into the torso section it should be strong enough to hold without coming apart when you rotate the joint.
paulson games

Postby mangozac » Mon May 14, 2012 8:29 pm

Locator buttons are a good solution!

Like Jon suggests though, casting the sockets as two parts and then inserting them into the torso could work too...
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby Lane » Tue May 15, 2012 8:39 pm

How many of them do you need?

Is this for a single model or do you plan on producing it as a kit.
If you just need a few I can probably help. For a production kit I would recommend using something like P-caps instead.
Lane
Habit

Return to Dr Polymer